Starstruck Chapter 22. Sisterly Love

Chapter 22. Sisterly Love

“We need to talk. Please let’s talk,” I begged. There was no answer. “Are you still there Dulce?”

“Yes I’m here,” she sighed. “Let’s meet up. But not in your house because I can’t handle that right now.” Her voice was shaky. It was like she was trying hard not to cry. I knew the feeling because I was doing the exact same thing.

“Okay,” I agreed. “Let’s meet up at the park. Few people will be there since it’s nighttime.”

“I’ll meet you in 20 Glace,” she said before hanging up.

Twenty minutes later, I tapped my foot nervously on the ground while sitting on the edge of the bench. I couldn’t stay still. Maybe she didn’t want to see me. When her image appeared after a few seconds, I breathed a sigh of relief.

Dulce still looked amazing despite having dark circles around her eyes and looking thinner than before. My heart ached at the thought of her losing sleep or skipping meals because of me. She wrapped her jacket self-consciously to her while sitting down beside me.

No one wanted to speak for a long time. It has been too long since we saw each other. In reality it has been a week. But for both of us, that could very well be eternity. I decided to break the silence.

“I miss you. I really do.” I turned to face her and saw the confusion in her face. She tucked a stray hair behind her ear. I have always loved that red hair of hers. It reminded me of fire. And that was what she was to me, a flame that I couldn’t extinguish no matter how cold I was inside.

“I miss you too,” she admitted. “More than you know.”

Our eyes met for the first time in days. God I adore those brown eyes. “Why can’t we just stay together Dulce? This is not right. We have to think of our happiness too.”

She shook her head sadly and looked down. “We can’t. This is for my mom. She deserves a second chance at love.”

“You don’t know my dad,” I argued. “He’s not right for Andrea. I’m not saying this because I want them to breakup badly. I’m saying this because it’s true. He never loved me as his daughter. How can you expect that he’ll be good to your mom?”

I heard her take a deep breath before staring back at me. The pain in her eyes reflected mine. “He proposed to her the other night and she said yes. It’s over Glace, we’re going to be family.” She choked at the last word and bit her lower lip.

My world crumbled right then. But I couldn’t give up on us. She was all that I had. “What if we tell Andrea about everything? Maybe she’d call off the engagement for us. She’ll do it for you Dulce since she loves you so much.”

Dulce leaned back on the bench and glanced at the stars as if she was looking for an answer there. Like all the dreamers who looked at it before, she found none. “Your dad already told her. He apologized for lying about you.” She turned to me and frowned. “He also told mom that you and I broke up because you found someone new and she believed him.”

I wanted to slam my head on the ground. That lying bastard father of mine made the situation worse. I hated him. My voice trembled as I said, “I wish I can love you as my sister, but I can’t. I want to kiss you, breathe each other’s scent, and feel your skin in mine. Sisters don’t do that. Sisters don’t think of making love and that’s all I ever think about when I see you.”

She closed her eyes, hiding the turmoil that was about to escape at any second. “Me too Glace. I want to fly to Neverland like we promised.” I noticed her hands come up to her neck and touched the ring that I gave her on Christmas. If she still had that then there was still hope.