Starstruck 37. Sisters

37. Sisters

As I read the note that my dad left for us, my heart and stomach sank low to the ground. What would happen to me? To us? Did he really think that we could last the night in the middle of nowhere? I took a good look at Denise who was heaving beside me, appearing as if her cat died or worse. The feeling was not lost to me.

“How many hours did it take for us to hike here?”

I expected her to do one of three things- scream a response, ignore me, or attack again, but surprisingly, her voice was even as she replied. “About 3 hours or so. I’m not really sure because I haven’t been looking at my watch.” She turned pale all of a sudden. “What if we die out here? I can’t! I can’t die without seeing Dulce again!” Denise grabbed her blonde locks in panic.

To calm her down, I touched her shoulder, staring her directly in the eyes. We were the same height so it was easy to get her attention. “Chill. . . We won’t die okay? I’m sure dad is playing a nasty trick on us. Think of it like this. Will he leave his two daughters defenseless in the woods? The answer is no.”

That seemed to calm her down. “What do you propose we do?”

I pushed her down to the grass. “Maybe it’s best if we wait for him. If he really was playing, he’d return in an hour or two.”

Denise nodded in agreement. For once she didn’t argue which in my opinion was a big miracle. Sinking to the ground next to her, I began to count the minutes, wishing that dad didn’t leave us, and this was his nasty way of teaching us a lesson for ruining his vacation. Two hours into the wait, Denise raised herself from the ground, worry etched in her face. “I don’t think he’s coming back.”

“We should wait a little longer.”

“I know him way more than you do Frio.”

I stood up from the ground, giving her a challenging look. “Are you trying to tell me that I’m illegitimate again? Now is not the time to insult me Barbie girl.”

She rolled her eyes, throwing her hair over her shoulder. “What I meant was if dad was joking, he’d be here right now. And I don’t need to tell you that you’re illegitimate. You already know that.” Taking a deep breath to prevent myself from killing her, I reached out for the phone in my back pocket. “I’ve tried using mine,” she said. “No signal.”

“Don’t you think I know that?” I pushed a button here and there, showing her the application I entered afterwards. “See? I downloaded a compass application on my phone before we went here. If we walk towards one direction and stay on that path, we’ll be out of here soon.”

Something glimmered in her eyes. She held out a hand. “Can I see your phone?” I didn’t like her tone. It was like she was planning something.

“Why?” I asked carefully.

“I want to see your pictures of Dulce.”