Starstruck Chapter 18. The Gift

Chapter 18. The Gift

“What time will Glace arrive sweetie?”

I glanced at the wall clock in the kitchen. It read 9:30pm. “After 30 minutes mom,” I called out. When she didn’t reply, I continued stuffing the Turkey with ingredients while humming softly to myself.

Today was the 24th of December. My mom and I celebrate Christmas religiously, even when it was only the two of us. Something about good food and conversations at night warms our heart so we just kept at it even when my father died. This day was extra special though. It was the first time that Glace would accompany us for Christmas and I was really excited.

I wonder if she’d give me a gift. Mine was all wrapped up and ready to go, but I wasn’t really expecting anything from her. Glace’s presence was more than enough. I just knew that it would be a wonderful occasion. One we’d both treasure for years.

When I heard the doorbell ring 30 minutes later, I almost skipped to the door and opened it widely. There she stood looking as Glace-like as ever. What did that mean? Drop-dead gorgeous of course. She was wearing a pink sweater, skinny jeans, and grey desert boots.

I kissed her softly on the nose, making her smile widely. “Nice sweater,” I said with a smirk. “Oh this old thing?” she said and held it out for me to see clearly. The statement on the sweater read, I’M IN LESBIANS WITH YOU. “Eris gave it to me as a gift this morning.”

“That girl is really something,” I chuckled. “Come to the kitchen after saying hi to mom. I’ll prepare hot chocolate for you. Would you like it with marshmallows?” She gave a nod and proceeded to the living room while I went to the kitchen to do my business.

I was stirring the chocolate in the mug when I felt her snake her arms around my waist. “Can we play wife again?” she asked. I smiled to myself and didn’t answer. When the embrace ended, I handed her the mug and both of us went to the living room where my mom was at.

“You look good together,” she said to us. “It makes me think of your father. He’d really love to meet Glace.”

We sat on either side of mom and I leaned my head on her shoulder. “I’m sure he’d enjoy talking to Glace mom,” I murmured.

“I’m sure he would,” she said.

“But aren’t you dating a guy for a few months now mom? You haven’t introduced him to us yet. I’d like to meet and say a few things to him.”

“Like what honey?” mom chuckled. “Oh I don’t know,” I said. “Maybe I’ll tell him that I’ll kick him in the nuts if he breaks your heart. Nobody fools my momma,” I joked. But at the back of my mind, I was seriously happy for her. She deserved to be loved by someone other than me and my friends. It has been too long since my father died and I wanted her to settle with a nice person.

“He’s a nice guy,” mom said. “I’ll make him come over a few weeks from now. I want you to be there when he does,” she said to Glace. “You’re part of the family now and your opinion of him is also important to me.”

I had this funny feeling in my stomach when mom said that to Glace. It made me feel fuzzy and giggly. You get my point. I was so thankful that my mother wasn’t those types who hates on lesbians. If she was, maybe I’d be a rebellious kid. Maybe.

“I’d like to meet him too Andrea,” Glace said. “He must be a handsome guy if he was able to date you.” Mom smiled to her. “Stop flattering your future mother-in-law.”