Starstruck Chapter 10. Confrontation

Chapter 10. Confrontation

“Where have you been young lady?”

I stopped dead in my tracks and saw my mom standing in the middle of the living room. Her arms were folded in front of her chest and she had her poker face on. Uh-oh. Was she mad? I just got home from Glace’s place and a glance at my wristwatch told me that it was after 6pm. I’m dead meat.

I took a large gulp of air and smiled sheepishly at my mom. “Sorry mom. I didn’t think it would be this late. Glace and I were talking and the time kind of slipped my mind.”

“You’re grounded,” she said. “I need to confiscate your phone. No TV for a week. And also, you’re not allowed to go to Frio’s house again.”

My face fell. “Oh my gosh mom! Please don’t do this,” I whined. I could handle the TV part since I’d rather read books. But the Frio thing bothered me. I really liked Glace. More than I should actually, so the thought of not going back to her place bummed me out.

My mom uncrossed her arms and gave me a smirk. “What are you whining for? Is it because of Frio?” I walked to the sofa and sat on it before answering her question. “Yes it’s because of her mom.” My eyes went to her face and she grinned widely.

“You do know that I’m kidding right sweetie?” she said. Mom followed me to the sofa and sat gracefully to my left. “You’re not grounded Dulce but we need to talk.”

“About what?” I asked innocently.

“About Frio of course,” she said with a shrug. “Are you in love with her? I remember you calling her Glace. Does that mean that she’s that girl we’ve been talking about?”

I reached for the pillow on my right and hugged it. All the while I was thinking of a reply. There was no use hiding it from my mom anyway so I might as well spill the beans. “Yes mom, she’s that girl. She introduced herself as Glace and I found out later on that she’s a celebrity.” I hid my face behind the pillow. “It’s too early to be in love with her, but lately she’s all I can think of.”

“Why not pursue her Dulce? Frio is a great kid. With her character, it’s very easy to forget that she’s a celebrity.” Mom removed the pillow in front of my face and looked seriously at me. “She can be good for you. And besides, I think she likes you too.”

My face heat up at her revelation. “You’re just saying that because I’m your daughter.”

She shook her head. “No sweetie. When she came over here two weeks ago, she asked me a couple of things about you. She wanted to know about your favorite food, the things you liked, and she seemed really interested on you. Come to think of it, she even asked me about your childhood which was weird.”

I arched an eyebrow at her. “What did she particularly ask about?” Mom’s face frowned in concentration. “She wanted to know what kind of kid you were when you were 7 years old. She also asked to see your childhood pictures.”

I shrugged. “Maybe she likes children.”

Mom looked me in the eyes. “Probably,” she said. “So you see Dulce? She has a thing for you.”

“But she said she’s already in love with someone.” I caught the disappointment in my own voice.

“You’ll never truly know unless you try. Just give it a shot honey. Who knows? Maybe she’s the person that you’ve been waiting for. I’m not saying that you steal her away from another girl because that’s just wrong. But if she’s single, you can always pursue her.”