Starstruck Chapter 23. Double Date

Chapter 23. Double Date

“I thought it’s going to be just the two of us?” I glared mockingly at Eris who turned her face innocently to avoid my stare. Glancing at the distance, I saw Patty and Dulce awkwardly huddled on the bench. Patty was as confused as I was while my ex-slash-love of my life gazed at her chucks, wishing for sure that she was someplace else.

“You tricked me.” My voice came harsher than expected. But what could I do? It wasn’t what I expected. Eris gave me an apologetic look in which I just shook my head. “Technically, I didn’t lie to you,” she said. “I told you that I needed help with Patty. I just didn’t add that Dulce was going to be with us.”

“She’s avoiding me Eris. You know that right?” My heart ached at the thought, but it was true. Dulce was indeed finding every excuse not to talk to me in school. The engagement of our parents came as a shock to us and she just couldn’t handle the fact that we’d be sisters. I wasn’t giving up just yet but seeing Dulce uncomfortable in my presence wasn’t my thing either.

“This is the perfect opportunity Frio,” Eris whispered right next to my ear. “You can get back Dulce, while I will be able to impress Patty. It’s a win-win situation. What do you say? Please help me. I’m really awkward with her.”

I sighed. There was no use arguing with her. She was also right. I’d do everything to get Dulce back. “So what do you want to do today?” Eris leaned back and considered. “I don’t know,” she admitted. “I haven’t tried this dating thing before. The models I’ve been with were more like a one night stand thing.”

I tried to think of an activity that didn’t require much talking. “What about paintball? You’re good at that so you’ll be able to impress Patty. Eris beamed at my suggestion. “Let’s go,” she said giddily while taking my hands to force me in the direction of the bench.

My eyes automatically went to Dulce’s brown ones when we reached them and she turned away with a blush in an instant. As usual, she looked really good today, wearing blue fitted jeans, a yellow tank top that exposed her smooth neck, and white chucks. My stomach did that fluttering thing as I noticed her wearing the necklace with the ring I gave.

In my right, Eris stared, or more like ogled Patty hungrily. Eris was wearing cut off jean-shorts together with her white button down, while her girlfriend looked comfortable in an outfit very similar to Dulce’s. Only her top was in pink and not yellow. As for me, I had shorts, a blue shirt, and sneakers, with my usual oversized sunglasses and cap. A girl like me had to be careful. The paparazzi could be lurking anywhere.

“We’re going to play paintball,” Eris said excitedly to the two. Dulce raised her head. “Seriously? You do know that Patty is not good at spor-“ Patty elbowed her friend softly on the ribs before she could finish the sentence. I winced for Dulce.

“Let’s go.” Brushing her black bangs away from her face, Patty got up from the park bench and hurriedly walked away.

The four of us agreed to use Patty’s SUV to go to the paintball place. To avoid an awkward arrangement, I volunteered to drive the car while Eris rode shotgun beside me. The two best friends kept mum at the back. No one spoke the whole ride. Eris was too nervous to even start a conversation. Dulce just stared out the window and I wanted to face-palm myself for the whole disaster.

When we arrived at our destination, I paid the rental fee and trudged behind the three as they began to get their paintball guns and suits. After everyone was ready, the four of us did rock-paper-scissors to choose our teammate. I ended up with Eris. Go figure.