Starstruck Chapter 26. Back To You

Chapter 26. Back To You

The last thing I remembered before gravity pulled me downward was seeing Glace's coffee colored eyes and beautiful features. But her face that was typically calm was showing an expression of complete dread. And then everything went dark.

It seemed like eternity when I finally opened my eyes again. My mom was leaning down to me in total panic. "Dulce!" she screamed, her usually soft voice distorted by fear. "Just stay put honey, don't move." Mom ran as fast as she could away from me while I stared at the darkening clouds. Wetness hit my cheek. The sky gave off a slow drizzle. Great. . .

Mom was so funny. She told me not to move when all I wanted was to do that. The problem was I couldn't and with each passing second, I was getting more and more scared at the fact that I wasn't able to. She came back a few minutes later with two men at her side. "Dulce sweetie," she said in a phony calm voice. "The men will carry you okay? Try to stay as still as possible."

I didn't reply and just watched uselessly as the bearded men wearing ugly orange overalls tried to haul me over their arms. Unbearable pain shot up my legs. "Noooo!! Stop it please its painful!" The voice that came out of my mouth was barely recognizable. It was high pitched and small. A child's voice, I thought. Glancing to my mom in panic I noticed for the first time that she looked a bit different, younger somehow.

"I know its painful Dulce but you have to bear with it. We already called for an ambulance but it will take them a few minutes to get here. We need to get you out of the rain sweetheart." At her instruction, the men moved me up again. "Don't!" I cried. But against my will, they continued with their action.

Glancing back at the place where I have fallen, a strong sense of déjà vu overwhelmed me. Somewhere somehow this has happened before. The hill looked awfully familiar. So were the tombstones that lined the cemetery. And then it dawned on me. Something occurred before this. Something important.

Concentrating hard, I found out that I could move my legs. By sheer will, I let loose from the firm grip of the bearded men and stood up on the grass. They didn't seem to notice that they weren't carrying me anymore and continued moving quickly away from me. My mom with her younger face and body moved with the men, oblivious of my disappearance which was really strange. But I didn't mind. I needed to find out what happened before I fell off the hill.

I looked down on my hands. Man they were so tiny it was almost comical. Dismissing the thought as soon as it hit me, I began to make my way to the other side of the hill where I knew I could easily climb because of the strong foothold. Why did mom and I come here again? Oh that's right. Dad died a year ago and I insisted on going to the cemetery to visit him.

When I reached my destination, my small feet carried me upward. I was desperate to reach the top of the hill so I could look at the scenery. Huffing and puffing, I finally conquered the small hill. It was no small feat considering I was 7 years old. Wait. . . Do seven year olds even think like this? Well whatever. I had a mission and that was to find out what that important thing was.

"Wow!" I gushed as I took in the view from the hill. "The cemetery is beautiful! I hope there are no ghosts here."

Sitting down on a spot, I continued looking at the tombstones in the distance. It was indeed a strange place. So picturesque yet sad at the same time. A soft eerie sound made the small hair at my nape stand up. Oh my gosh. Is that a ghost? I cocked my head to the side, concentrating so I could hear the sound clearly. A few seconds passed. Someone was definitely crying.

Dusting myself from dirt, I stood up from my position and slowly walked to the source of the sound. Please don't let it be a ghost, please don't let it be a ghost, I prayed repeatedly. Leaning down to the direction I came from, I saw a girl about my age crying softly. She was seated on the grass while hugging her knees, oblivious by my presence just several feet above her.