Starstruck Chapter 5. Double Threat

Chapter 5. Double Threat

Against my will, I drove to the meeting place that my classmate Nadia texted the other night. Even if I wanted to, I wouldn’t be able to escape the lead role that they gave to me, much less skip this practice altogether. So many people were counting on this; the whole class, my two quirky yet annoying best friends who I was close to strangling with my bare hands, and Glace.

I was sure of the others, but with her, my mind was a blank. She did mention that she wouldn’t take the role if I wasn’t her Juliet, so was she sending me mixed signals? Or perhaps she was taunting me because I didn’t accept her offer to pose nude? Don’t expect or think of anything Dulce, I told myself. Like always, just pretend that you’re cool with everything so you can live your life normally in school. What do you call people like me? Exactly. A pushover.

I sighed. This was exactly the reason why I disliked high school with a passion. Don’t get me wrong, I love the studying and learning aspect of it. As for the rest… Well let’s just say that it plain old sucks. Everything revolves around cliques, popularity, and being ‘cool’ which I didn’t really understood what entailed.

It was a good thing that they found me cute, likeable and all that puke-worthy words strewn together that I despised so much. At least I didn’t have to try hard to fit in, unlike other people at school. You should have seen how they treat the others, especially the queers. It was downright disheartening.

I rounded the corner and produced the cellphone from my pocket. The address indicated seemed to be right so this must be the place. I pulled over a spot and switch the engine off. After I got out of the car, my eyes travelled to the huge house in front of me. The size of the building was comparable to Glace’s property, but I didn’t know which one of my classmates owned it.

Oh well, I guess I just had to find out on my own. I squared my shoulders and walked pass the lawn and straight to the front of the door. My hands found the button for the doorbell and I gave it a push. Don’t forget to smile Dulce, I reminded myself.

The thick wooden door opened and two very familiar hands snaked their way around my back giving me a small hug. The smell of cinnamon wafted on my nose and I found myself taking a deep sniff despite knowing the person who hugged me. Have I told you that I loved cinnamon as much as I adore coffee? No? Well now you know.

“What are you doing here Denise?” I took her hands and gently pried her away from my body. The hug was nice, I’ll give you that. She was an inch taller than me and her ample breast brushed against mine when she leaned in. It was because I knew it was her that made me totally uncomfortable.

She pouted at me, her full lips which were currently covered in light peach-colored lip gloss making this sad smiley motion. I almost laughed out loud. Not because she looked ugly or anything but due to the fact that I knew I was the only one who could do that to her. My mom was right when she said that Denise had a thing for me.

“Babe, is that the right way to greet the owner of the house?”

I arched an eyebrow at her. “What do you mean? I came here for the practice.”

She gave me a patronizing look and moved nearer, doubling my discomfort. “You’re so silly babe, this is my house.”

I took a step back. “But you’re not my classmate Denise.” I glanced quickly to my left and right, wondering what was going on.

“Of course I’m not silly,” she said before grabbing my right arm and practically hauling me inside the house. She took me by surprise so I couldn’t do anything but to follow her.