Starstruck 38. Countdown

38. Countdown

1825 Days Left

“Hey sweetie! It’s so good to see you. Do you want anything? My treat.”

Andrea’s brown eyes that constantly reminded me of Dulce’s lighted up as soon as she caught sight of me. The conversation inside the café where we agreed to meet turned into a low buzz, until it totally faded into the background. I went up to her, earning me a warm embrace.

“I just had coffee at my place,” I mumbled with a smile as I took a seat across from her. “Oh and by the way. Thanks for meeting me here instead of your house.”

She nodded understandingly, giving me a familiar look that seemed to penetrate deep into my soul. That was one of the qualities I liked the most about Dulce’s mother. She had the ability to know that I wasn’t comfortable in returning to their house without her daughter, yet she didn’t pry, unlike other people out there. Andrea took a sip from her cup of coffee. Placing it down with a contented sigh, she said, “Dulce’s doing fine in France. But she’s been so busy with all the studying and settling down that she barely has time to talk. I’m sure you understand.”

I nodded absentmindedly, a hollow feeling gnawing on my insides. By now, the feeling was so familiar that I wasn’t surprised at all. It would plague my body like a disease whenever Dulce was mentioned. “Yeah, she told me about that last week. The chef was running her ragged in the kitchen. Though she’s enjoying a lot. Learning a lot.”

Andrea continued to look at me, studying every reaction I made. It was a good thing that I was wearing my usual disguise of blue cap and sun glasses or she might have seen the sadness in my eyes. “She loves you Glace. Please be patient with her. I know that she forbade you to visit her this year, but you can definitely have your short vacation there next year.”

Staring out the glass window of the café, I envisioned myself with Dulce, hand-in-hand in France, walking on a cobblestone path somewhere. The thought made me swallow the lemon in my throat. “Yeah. . . I’m looking forward to that. Hope the paparazzi don’t detect my departure though. They can’t find out that Dulce’s in France at all cost.” A nod from Andrea. “But enough about that. How are you doing? Is work fine?”

“Oh you know how make-up artists are,” Andrea said, taking another short sip from her cup. “One minute you’re so busy you barely have time to sleep, the next you find yourself staring at the wall, bored.” She gave me a meaningful look, trying to tell me that she’s been missing her daughter as badly as I had during those boring times. “I have good news though,” she mumbled after a while.

“What?”

Andrea’s cheeks turned a slight shade of pink. “I’ve been dating.”

My eyebrows shot up in amusement. “Hope his name is not Rick.”