Starstruck Chapter 14. Parallel Lines

Chapter 14. Parallel Lines

I sat there in front of my father's tombstone for what seemed like hours. In reality, it was only 30 minutes. Only that short amount of time has passed since I saw Glace kissing Eris. I wanted to cry. I wanted to go back to Glace's house and tell her to love me. Demand it even. But my pride held me back.

I knew that it wouldn't be good for me and for her. We were friends and friends were expected to support each other in love. Now that she got her dream girl, I had no room in her heart. I needed to forget her, just as I did when Denise rejected me last year.

This time was different though. This time, I was already falling fast for the one who hurt me. It was like rubbing salt in a wound. But with all wounds, I needed to heal. Maybe someday it would turn into a scar and make me stronger. But for now avoidance was the key.

A soft crunch of a twig snapped me out of my reverie. Before I could even look behind me, Glace sat silently on my right. She was so close that I was able to smell her creamy scent. Of all the people to follow me here, it had to be her. How did she know where I went?

"I saw the grocery bag on the kitchen table. Why did you leave?" she asked softly. I turned my head to her and saw her coffee colored eyes searching my face. I just couldn't get mad at her. She only got what she yearned for all these years- her first love. It wasn't her fault that I fell in love with her.

"I saw you kissing. . ." I couldn't continue the sentence. My mouth simply refused to say that I saw her making out with Eris. I inhaled deeply and tried again. "I saw you kissing another girl a while back."

Her brows furrowed and for a moment, she had this confused look on her face. "But we weren't," she said before I cut her off.

"Shhh," I said. "Don't speak Glace. I'm so happy for you. You finally got her." I gave her a wide smile but I died a little bit inside.

She continued to look confused. "What are you talking about Dulce? This is a misunderstanding. I was removing something from her ey-"

I cut her off again and shrugged. "It was just as I said. There's no need for an explanation." I nudged her gently with my elbow. "You told me before that I'd be the first person to know when it happens. You're such a liar."

After I said that, both of us fell silent. I bit my lips to stop myself from crying, while she stared at the tombstone of my father looking out of sorts. Her mouth was opened slightly and she appeared to be baffled. A few minutes passed like that and as if on cue, both of us spoke at the same time.

"I have something to tell you," we blurted out.

"You first," we said together.

I scratched my ear. "Okay let's just say it at the same time. Ready?" She nodded.

I didn't know what her reaction would be. But I didn't really care anymore. I needed to have self-preservation. It would hit me hard, but somehow I needed to tell her that it was alright that she was dating Eris. For both our sakes. So she wouldn't think I was too attached to her. That I loved her and it hurts right now. On the count of three, both of us said what was in our minds.

"I like Denise," I said the biggest lie ever.

"I love you Dulce," she confessed.

I blinked several times, trying to digest the information she said. WHAT? But didn't she love Eris? Blood rushed to my face and it seemed like time stood still.

 In that moment, I knew that I was scared. I felt the fear like a blade slicing my skin. I was more frightened in that instant than heights. More terrified than losing my best friends. More petrified than ever before. Because in that moment, I knew I hurt the most important person in my life with what I said.