Starstruck Chapter 20. Distance

Chapter 20. Distance

I miss Glace. She has been avoiding me for days now. We still sat side-by-side in school, but for some weird reason, she’d avert her gaze from mine or excuse herself whenever I’d request to talk. I thought I could ask her to hangout over the weekend but she wouldn’t answer my calls. She wasn’t at her place either.

I was beginning to get worried. She has been like this since the day of the dinner date with Rick. I wanted nothing else than to talk to her. To ask her what was on her mind or if she was getting tired of me. But I simply had no opportunity to do so. She refused to give me one.

That was why when Friday came, I cornered her inside the classroom after the bell rang and asked my two best friends if they could get rid of anyone who would attempt to stalk Glace. Like promised, the two of us were left in the classroom. Perfect.

“Baby,” I said while giving her a confused look. “Are you avoiding me? Please be honest.”

Her face formed a deep frown but she didn’t look directly in my eyes. Something was definitely wrong. I could feel it. “What are you talking about Dulce?” she asked.

Forgetting where I was, my body moved nearer to her, until we were only inches apart. I touched her chin and tilted her face to mine so she could not escape me. “Please look at me,” I said sadly. “I miss those coffee colored eyes.” My heart fluttered helplessly against my chest. Was she not in love with me anymore?

She maintained a poker face, but her eyes betrayed her. Clearly she was guilty of something. “I miss you too,” she whispered and cupped my cheek. “I love you Dulce.”

Like always, her confession of love gave me a jolt of electricity in my body. However, this time it was a combination of thrill and sadness. It felt like she was hiding something from me. Oh God please don’t let it be another woman, I thought in horror.

“If you really love me, then please stop running away from me Glace. I know that something is bothering you. Tell me what it is so we can work it out. Did I do or say something that you didn’t like?”

She cleared her throat. “It’s not you, it’s-“ I didn’t let her finish her sentence. I wouldn’t. “Please don’t,” I said in a raspy voice. “Please don’t tell me you don’t love me anymore Glace.”  My eyes squeezed shut involuntarily. I was absolutely terrified of what she was going to say. I wouldn’t know what I’d do if she said those words.

“God no,” she said before embracing me in her arms. She was warm and soft. Just like always. “Falling out of love with you is simply impossible Dulce. It’s like telling me to kill myself. I don’t want to be strangers. Not again.”

“Then what’s the problem?” I asked in a trembling voice and bit my lip to stop myself from crying. Her left hand gently rubbed my back in a circular manner which soothed me in an instant. She was the only one who had the power to break me and pull me together.

She removed her embrace and held me at arm’s length. “I just have a lot of things in my mind right now. Be patient with me baby. In time, I’d find a solution to the problem and we can finally be together without any distractions. Trust me please.”

I took a deep breath and tried to calm myself. “I wish I know what you’re talking about Glace. Won’t you tell me what’s been bothering you so I can help?”

For a second there, I saw her considering the prospect, but she quickly shook her head in a silent no. “Telling you will just complicate things Dulce. So all I’m asking you right now is to trust me.”