Starstruck 36. Differences

36. Differences

“Are we there yet?” No one answered. “Are we there yet?” Ignored. “Daddy are we there yet?”

Something about her snotty tone made me look at Denise from the rearview mirror in disgust. “You’ve been asking the same question for the past 8 hours. Can’t you just sit back quietly so we can get this over with?” I asked, distaste dripping from my voice.

In response, my so-called sister covered her ears with her hands. “I didn’t hear anything. Did you hear anything daddy? A ghost seems to be talking beside you.” Our dad ignored her, as he has been doing for the last few hours that we have been driving on the road, going to heaven only knows where. Come to think of it, he has been ignoring me too, which was fine, except my sister was a loony.

“You’re so childish Denise. I can’t believe I have a sister like you.”

“Who cares what you think?” she snapped. “You’re an illegitimate child anyway.”

“Enough!” The car stopped abruptly, making me and Barbie- yes I was calling her that for the time being, lurch on our seats. My eyes went to dad’s face. Underneath the calm demeanor was irritation. He stared from me to Barbie. “We’re going to have this family camping trip and whether you like it or not, you have to get along. Are we clear on that?” He was definitely not joking. I nodded while Barbie pursed her lips but remained silent. The car started moving forward again.

Two hours later, I was jolted awake when dad touched my shoulder. The vehicle was parked in the middle of nowhere, and Barbie was already outside, groaning. “We’re here cupcake,” he said. “Now help me get the camping gear out of the car so we can hike to the spot.”

As per his instruction, I got out with a heavy heart, taking the huge backpack and tent with me. Barbie was being all whiny and unreasonable. “But I don’t want to bring all those things. It’s heavy.”

“Would you rather that your sister and I leave you here?” Dad asked patiently. “Besides, you brought them so you have to carry them.”

Upon hearing the word leave, Barbie glanced around the area. I observed everything with her. All there was were trees, rocks, and nature. The place looked like the perfect set for slasher movies. It made me wonder where we were, but if I had to take a guess, it was somewhere in Arizona based from the scenery and the hours we traveled. Or maybe I was wrong.

Barbie doll made up her mind and picked up her things, shuddering as we followed dad to the greeneries. Several kilometers into the hike, dad finally stopped, dropping all his gear with a sigh. We were next to a river.

As I set my bag on the ground and stared at the clear stream of water, I couldn’t help but think about Dulce and the time we went fishing. My heart protested at the thought of her lean arms as she tried to scoop the catch we made, and the way her reddish hair fluttered gently against the wind as she laughed at me with a twinkle in her soulful brown eyes. Everything about her warmed me, but now that she was a thousand miles away, I was as cold as the fish swimming in the river. Despite being the Hollywood celebrity I was, my life kind of suck at the moment.