Starstruck Chapter 6. Sleuthing

Chapter 6. Sleuthing

A soft vibration at the end of the bed pulled me from the script I was reading. I reached for my phone, not taking my eyes off the line of Juliet that was written on the stack of papers that was given to me for the school play. “Hello?” I answered.

“Hey cutie this is your bff,” Tim’s perky voice said from the other line. I dropped the script I was holding and crossed my legs. “What’s up?”

“Nothing much. Patty and I realized that we haven’t chilled for a while. We miss you girl,” he said. His tone told me that he was feeling guilty for neglecting his friend duty. About time, I thought. They were so consumed by the thoughts of Glace as of late that they didn’t even realize that I was slipping away from them. I waited for him to continue. “We’re wondering if you want to hang out today.”

“Where?”

“Patty’s house.”

I considered for a moment. Even if I was slightly irritated with them for always talking about Glace in front of me and for not knowing what I was going through the past few days, it didn’t change the fact that they were my best friends. “Give me 20 minutes,” I said.

When I pulled up in Patty’s driveway, I was greeted by the image of Tim and Patty pacing back and forth in front of the house. They didn’t give me enough time to ask any questions. The two got inside the car and stared at me expectantly. “I thought we were hanging out inside the house?”

“We changed our mind,” Tim said while pushing the button for the car radio. Country music blared inside. “Where are we going then?” I said loudly so they could hear me over the annoying ruckus. I fought the urge to slam my head against the steering wheel. God. I hate country music.

“Let’s go to the mall,” Patty said. She tapped Tim’s shoulder who was currently seated in the passenger seat. “Can you please turn that off? Dulce will flip. You know she hates that.” Tim pouted before doing her request.

“Thanks Pats,” I said in gratitude while using the nickname we gave her in grade school. My eyes met her baby blue ones in the rearview mirror and she wiggled her eyebrows which made me chuckle. My two best friends were as different as night and day. Patty was the kind one, the conscience of the group. She was always ready to lend an ear or a shoulder whenever Tim and I had problems. When Denise rejected me last year, Patty gave me a pint of Ben and Jerry’s to drown out the sorrows.

I winked at her in the rearview mirror and she pushed her black bangs away from her face before winking back. My attention turned to Tim. He shoved his hand inside his black fleece jacket and checked his phone for any messages. He was probably checking if any of his boy toy texted back. I noticed that he wore his contact lenses today. Tim was part Asian and looked like a Korean popstar. He broke hearts everywhere he went- mainly women.

He acts like a total gentleman in school, but with us, he was gayer than anyone I’d ever met.  If Patty gave me an ice cream to get over Denise, Tim brought tequila from the store using a fake ID and made me drink until I passed out. My mom thought someone drugged me and nearly called the cops that day. Luckily Tim told her what happened to clear everything out. Mom didn’t even ground me because she understood that teenagers were supposed to act out once in a while.

Together, the three of us were this really popular but weird group in school. I mean come on look at us. We consisted of a half Asian heartbreaker who was a closet gay, a cute blue-eyed wonder who was more of a listener than a slut that they expected her to be, and a dorky 17 year old- that’s me- who preferred reading alone in her room or cooking for her friends than going to parties. And they all thought we were cool.