23

Derek's POV

"what are you doing D?" I hear spike walking up behind me. "I thought she told you to give her space? watching her from your window isn't giving her space. that's called being a stalker and creep." a grin is spread across his face as I hit his chest shoving him back. "shut up damn I don't know what to do Spike it's been two days and she hasn't said anything more than good morning or hi to me! she won't even sleep in our bed." I tell him my hands clasping together in irritation as I let my frustrations out. he chuckles "I'll sleep with you buddy, having both her and Shelly in my bed is killing me." I shoot him a harsh glare hoping to God he is kidding and that he hasn't actually been sleeping in the same bed as my maize. he lets out a loud laugh bellowing over "you should've of seen your face!" he says breathy as he points his finger at me making me swat it in annoyance. "I would never Derek, plus I heard she kinda snores. I've been sleeping in one of the spare rooms." he tells me as he looks down to maize, Stella and Shelly who are sitting by the river. most of me is watching to make sure her clumsy self doesn't find her way in the water accidentally, while the other pathetic side of me watches just so I ease some of the pain I'm feeling. having her so close to me but not be able to touch her or talk to her the way I truly want to and it's killing me. "she doesn't snore." I defend her knowing good and well that she does indeed have a slight snore but it's one of the most adorable sounds I've ever heard. her lips are always slightly parted and she is always curled on my chest so I can hear it right in my ear. "I don't know what I'm doing Spike." I look at him and he shakes his head "women are complicated." he stops laughing slightly and shrugs. he knows more than he is leading on. "you've talked her." spike looks at me shaking his head. he is easier to read than he thinks. he forgets we have known each other since we were babies. "oh bullshit spike! she trusts you and you're shit at lying. what did she say?" he huffs and sits down on one of the leather seats. "All she has said is that she's hurt because you won't open up about your past and she still feels in the dark. she kept saying it shouldn't be this hard and how she is tired of the endless back and forth." I try to let the words sink in, my first instinct is to go and yell at her for telling spike shit but I stop myself. "what do I do?" I know I can't lose her because I'm absolutely nothing with out her and if to keep her, happily keep her means I have to change and be completely vulnerable I'll do it in a fucking heart beat. "have you guys ever been on a date?" he asks "of course-that one time-yes-well." I shake my head as we both laugh. "well I guess the big bad wolf is going to take the girl out." he tells me grinning and a sudden nervousness takes over my body. "You have to let her in for her to feel fully trusted, she is tough enough to handle this life. You just have to let her."

----------------

Maize's POV

"I still can't believe you took three shots in a row last night." Stella says for the hundredth time since we left the tiny bar in town most of it's a blur but I vividly remember standing on top the bar dancing nearly breaking my ankle . "I still can't believe spike believed you when you told him it was orange juice on the rug this morning." we all laugh thinking back to us trying to sneak back in early this morning failing miserably, but somehow we convinced spike to let it slide.  "you can't hold your alcohol as well as you thought Shelly." she hits my arm playfully as we calm down. her eyes widen as she looks at something behind me, "shell? what's wrong?" I turn around to look for what has her so quite but I see nothing around the back yard but a few pack members throwing around a ball. "he has officially hit rock bottom." I look at her still confused until she turns my head to face the window that Derek is standing in front of spike right beside him. his eyes go wide in embarrassment as he sees he has been caught grabbing spike and running out of the room making me giggle softly. "you should talk to him." Stella whispers rubbing my hand and I nod. "I just don't want to fight anymore." I shrug and she smiles softly. "you guys will pull through. all soul mates do. especially you two, one can't be without the other." Shelly says I hug both of them tightly before walking back towards the house and into the living room bumping right into Derek and spike who still are running and out of breath. I cross my arms grinning widely "we were just making sure none of you fell into the river. Heard it's freezing." Derek says suddenly Spike nods his head in agreement before laughing and walking away giving Derek a pat on his back. "See ya maize." He calls out. 

now that I'm face to face with Derek, alone my words are mush. I turn to walk upstairs as we share an awkward nervous glance. "Do you want to go on a date with me?" he blurts making me stop and turn not sure if I heard the words right. "w-what?" I stutter utterly shocked and he looks even more stunned than me as if his mouth doesn't belong to him. "a-a date like uh to the town fair they're having or maybe uh to dinner and a movie you know regular couple stuff that stupid stuff." he is nervous a rare site for the alpha "stupid stuff?" I half smile inching closer he shakes his head his eyes glued to his shoes as he hand reaches to the back of his neck shrugging as he looks back at me. "i would love to." as the words leave my mouth relief washes over him and he nods turning to walk away but turns back around sharply "tonight?" he asks nervousness evident in his voice again making me laugh and nod. "okay." he smiles "okay." I smile back as we both nod and stare at each other for a few more seconds. "Derek get your lazy ass out here!" Ben yells running into the living room throwing the ball at Derek's chest. "hey Maize!" he greets before smacking at Derek's back as I wave "I'm coming I'm coming you pain in the ass." Derek throws the ball back at him and looks back at me "I'll see you later." he smiles and I nod watching him as he walks out to the backyard glancing back at me one more time. the butterflies in my stomach drive me crazy making me feel like how I did when I first met Derek. maybe this is just what we need. a reminder of how simple it's suppose to be.