42

"Keep going!" He shouts after me. My legs are numb but I ignore the pain as run through the forest hoping he doesn't catch up to me.

My heart is racing. I can hear the thump of my heart in my ears, my chest heaving up and down but I don't give up, I keep running. Weaving through the trees hoping he won't be able to keep up with my path.

"I'm close." I hear the voice boom behind me just as I feel his heart run past me crashing into the fallen tree on the ground making it snap in half.

"Fuck!" I curse watching Spike do a victory lap around me as I dust my self off. "Again." I demand getting ready to run again but he pulls me back to him.

"That's enough for today Maiz" he warns but I'm not ready to be done. "It's okay you just can't beat me." He teases on making my annoyance climb.

We started training every morning after we "made up" as Shelly calls it, to help me control my anger and try to focus it on something more useful. I've hit a plateau now after a few months. not getting any faster but not getting slower either.  it's bugging me.

"I need to be faster." I tell him but he isn't budging as he heads back to the car. "Let's go get breakfast, I'm starving." He groans dramatically hitting my arm before running to the car.

I chase after him slamming my hand onto the hood "I won!" I cheered looking back at him out of breath "I let you win." He assures before hopping in the car.

We pass by the road that leads to the pack house and my heart swells. "Have you seen him this week?" I question as we drive down the road nearing the city limits.

He knows what I'm asking.

He doesn't meet my gaze but keeps it fixated on the road. "He doesn't know, don't worry." He reassures me gripping my knee tightly.

I nod my head my attention falling back out the window as the mass of trees turn into buildings.

"Keep it that way." I say simply and turn the nob on the radio searching for a channel that doesn't have a commercial playing.

I subconsciously rub over my left hand, gazing down at fading tan line that wraps around my ring finger.

"He should know." Spike reminds me but I shake my head disagreeing silently and that's enough for him to drop it.

——————————-

Derek's  POV:

"The boarders need to be more secured" I state to the pack. Damien sits in the corner, nodding in agreement. "I want double the guys posted." I add as I'm handed a few papers to sign I give the man a quick nod signing them before handing them back as he exits the room.

"We will hold a meeting to vote if we want to continue the merge with the witches and the western pack." I pause for a moment "10:30 Wednesday sounds good." I tell my assistant, Kara.

"Yes Alpha." She responds before writing it down on the calendar sprawled across her desk.

"That's it for now, you're dismissed." I say waving my hand for the pack members to disperse. Ben and Jonah stay seated in front of me.

"Let's go get some lunch." Ben says grabbing a handful of candy from the jar sitting on the edge of my desk.

My heart skips a beat as I reminded why it's there in the first place. She put it there, thinking it would be nice to have something sweet available for people when they come in.

"Take it all." I tell him shoving the glass jar into his hands. He shrugs happily taking it as Jonah grabs a handful shoveling it into his mouth. "It's too early for lunch." I tell them my eyes falling back to the stacks of papers in front of me.