37

Derek's POV-

I pull in through the gates leading up to the house  and put the car in park, the whole car ride was silent, Sadness lurking in the air. Maize never looking away from the window every time I went to hold her hand  she flinched away, rejecting my touch.

My hands gripped the steering wheel tightly as i sigh deeply  the guys stay in the car motionless.
"I'll tell the rest of the guy the news about Josh." I say quietly, "it should be me." Ben interjects opening the door stepping out.

"I can do it Ben, I'm alpha." I say hoping he lets me. I know it will be hard for me. "No I want to." He assures headed towards the stairs to go into the house. Spike looks at me nodding his head and closing the door before following the rest of  the guys up to the house.  Leaving me and maize alone.

I don't know where to start, I'm almost scared to say anything. The fear of her running off again is crushing me from the inside out.

"Maize-" I begin but she shakes her head. "I don't want to talk about it." She states reaching for the door handle, but I grab her thigh stopping her from leaving making her head snap towards me.

"We have to talk about this." I reply shocked how could she be so nonchalant about this. She just killed somebody, multiple somebodies.

"I can't talk about this!" She shouts her hands cupping her face. "Not with you. Not with your sad eyes." She is looking out the window again, not meeting my gaze. "Don't you get that? I can't." She says pushing my hand off her thigh and exiting the car.

She's covered in blood, her shirt ripped similar to mine. Smears of red across her beautiful face. the sight alone is making me upset. She shouldn't have been apart of this, ever.
She can't handle this. The weight and guilt that follows is almost paralyzing. I should know, the first time I killed somebody was one of the hardest things to face. She won't make it through it alone.

My fist collide with the steering wheel trying to let out some of the frustration. A harsh groan falling from my lips. I feel absolutely helpless, knowing she's pushing me away and I can't stop it. Knowing my pack needs me to be a leader now more than ever.

————————————-

maizes POV

I walk through the door my eyes falling on the group all spread across the living room, Shelly is stood beside Spike her head resting against his chest. Her eyes meet mine and she leaps off the couch running towards me her arms wrapping around my neck.

"I'm so glad you're okay!" She breathes into my hair pulling back to look at me. "Let's go get you cleaned up." She says pulling me up the stairs. I follow behind her looking at spike. He gives me a knowing look, as if saying "you better stay." I look back at Shelly giving her a weak smile.

"I'm so relieved you're back Maz. I missed you." She says while shoving me into the steaming shower "Derek was worried sick." She tells me while placing a pile of clean clothes on top of the sink. "God, you're covered in blood, what did they do to you?" I gulp my eyes darting to my bare body. The image of me ripping apart their throats flashes to my mind. What did they do to me or what did I do to them?

The pang of guilt makes me sick to my stomach, I feel it rising in my throat. Before I could stop it I'm vomiting, the vile taste in my mouth is terrible.
"Maize!" Shelly shouts shutting of the water and grabbing a wash cloth bringing it to my mouth. "Are you ok? I'll get Derek." She runs out the door before I can catch her.