38

"You have to go, everyone is so excited to have you back Maiz." Shelly begs me to go to the party tonight, yes party. Ben said Josh would've wanted a party to celebrate his life nothing sad. But I just don't feel right going, especially considering the fight I just had with Spike and the on on going tension with Derek. "I really don't feel good Shell." I tell her hoping she gives up, but I'm not that lucky.

"I know you and Spike had a fight but-" I cut her off standing up from the bed. "We didn't have a fight, he fought but I didn't. He came at me." I defend myself crossing my arms like a pouting toddler. I don't want to see either Derek or Spike tonight. I have no energy to fight with either of them.

"Okay okay you're right but still-" she pauses taking both my hands into hers "we want you there, we all want you there. You're apart of this messy family Maiz." She hugs me tightly "plus I already picked you out an outfit."  It's like she reads my mind, that was my next excuse.  "Fine okay I'll go." I huff and she drags me towards the closet to find the outfit she chose for me.

—————————

Derek's pov

"To Josh, our brother and friend." I say holding up the glass of champagne "may he Rest In Peace."

"To Josh!" The pack echos raising their glasses before roasting. This is not what I expected for a funeral, but Josh wasn't like everybody else. He was the life of the party. So what better way for him to go besides a party.

The DJ starts the music back up as I step off the stage embracing members of the pack as I walked by. Grabbing another glass of bourbon after downing  the glass of  champagne.

"Easy big guy." Spike says lowly in my ear wrapping his arm around my neck. I shake my head shoving his arm off. "Have you seen her?" I question my eyes darting around the back garden. "No, she's avoiding me too remember?" I glare at him sharply still slightly annoyed about his argument with Maize the day before.

"Shelly will bring her, she has a way of convincing." Spike assures "we both just need to give her some space right now." He adds "she isn't in a good headspace and if we keep pushing we will loose her D." Deep down I know he is right but I can't stop myself from fighting for her, I want to be there for her.  "I know." I say simply. "I know."

————————

Maizes POV

I hold the glass of champagne in my hand tightly as Shelly pulls me towards the buffet, I don't remember the last time I've kept down a full meal. Which probably makes sense as to why a few glasses of champagne is making me way more tipsy than normal.

"Can hybrids still get drunk?" I whisper to Shelly as she fills our plates with finger foods. She turns to me smirking "yes, just takes a bit more alcohol." She laughs "are you already tipsy?" I shake my head grabbing the plate of food from her before downing the rest of my glass. "Just for future knowledge." I shrug walking towards one of the tables leaving Shelly behind.

I'm wearing a pair of dark wash skinny jeans and a black tank top  that's nearly too small and shows way too much cleavage, and a pair of these god awful nude high heels I can barely walk in. But I'm making it work, for Shelly's sake. "I got this." I whisper to myself confidently, this platform will be the death of me but I refuse to not eat at the table. Mainly because Shelly will skin me alive if I make a mess with this outfit on.

I'm halfway up the ramp when I trip and loose my balance. The food crashes to the floor and I go tumbling off the side of the platform. I already hear people running after me.

"I'm okay!" I shout trying to laugh off the situation and not make it into a huge ordeal. I feel his hand grip my arm and pull me up. My eyes locking with his. "I said I'm fine." I say tugging away from him but he doesn't let up. "Derek." I warn "I'm not doing this, not now. Not here."