Chapter 40

Morgan leaned back in the chair. He was surprised how drained he felt even after a good night's sleep.

Conked right out in front of everyone......... I should have just thrown in the towel.....

He looked up on hearing soft footsteps and saw Sherlene.

"Out for some fresh air?" She asked with a faint smile.

"Yes. Though I have a feeling it won't be fresh now."

Sherlene laughed as she brought out a cigarette.

"How are you?" He asked.

Sherlene shrugged looking at the cast on her arm. It was the only remaining sign of the horrors from the previous day.

She pulled up a chair opposite him and started blowing smoke rings.

After a few seconds she spoke.

"Thank you. I heard you helped me. "

Morgan didn't reply.

He wasn't the only one but he could see Sherlene wanted to say something more.

"It's an odd feeling you know." Sherlene looked at the smoke gently gliding up.

"To have someone be concerned about me"

Morgan was about to make a snarky remark when he was interrupted by Lucia.

The girl burst out of the bushes and looked at the two grumpily.

"Where's breakfast?"

She looked at Morgan as if it was his fault.

"Um... Sit. One of the maids will probably come running over now"

As if on cue a maid came over with a tray of toast, jam, butter and a pot of tea.

Lucia grabbed two slices of toast and pushed them into her mouth ravenously.

"Do you know what decorum is?" Asked Morgan with a smile taking a piece of toast.

"If it's not something to eat I don't want to know!" Said the girl grabbing the jar of jam and dipping her fingers in.

Sherlene raised her eyebrows slightly seeing her eat but said nothing.

"I had bad dreams" Said Lucia looking at Morgan.

"I see... Good kids don't have bad dreams you know!"

"Meany!" Said Lucia sticking out her tongue and then suddenly she let out a gasp.

"Are you alright?!! How's your hand?!"

"Oh better.... "

Morgan reached out and patted her head.

"It was just a joke you know. Couldn't sleep?"

Lucia shook her head violently.

She stuffed another piece of bread into her mouth.

She had been up all night and she wanted to cry because her head hurt now. Eating made her feel better and give her energy for the important thing she had to do today.

Today she was going to change things.

I'm gonna wake Aunty Irisu up and demand to sleep with her from today!!!!

Lucia hammered at the door until she heard a loud curse from inside.

She quickly moved back as Jolly opened the door.