Chapter 52

"Why so glum, Papa?!"

Mondo looked away from the window and smiled seeing Irisu standing at the door.

"Ah no... just thinking. "

"Hm? What is it?"

Irisu sat next to Mondo and waited for him to speak.

"Well... sometimes I wonder if I'm taking the right decisions, that's all?"

"Well we can't have you doubting yourself! After all you are our leader, right?!" Irisu smiled and nudged him gently.

"Hm... I suppose so." Mondo chuckled.

"Also... your decisions are far more well-thought than anything we would take. I'm here to listen if you want to talk though."

Mondo smiled.

He still remembered that little girl from more than fifteen years back who had tried so hard to keep him away from her sister.

A rebellious, mistrustful child who had openly declared that she would never accept him.

But with time he had earned her trust and friendship and became a father-like figure for her. Though they shared very few words now, they still had a very strong bond.

"Did you see that man who went out now?" asked Mondo

Irisu shook her head and Mondo continued.

"I just had a visitor. He worked as a dealer in one of our clubs. Yesterday... Debito kicked him out for cheating. He had informed me about his actions and I agreed. Many of our regulars were cheated by that man and since Debito had already made that decision I didn't say more."

"Well, why does it matter then? And besides the rule of cheating is if you get caught you face the consequences. That was his mistake."

Mondo couldn't help but laugh on realising how half of the people under his roof had such loose definitions of morals.

"Caught or not, it was still wrong. That man came here just now, begging to be given his job back. I refused as it wasn't my decision and he.... wasn't very pleased."

"Since when were you bothered by stuff like that?"

"No.... but he said, I'm being so cold only because he was a commoner and that the only people who I care about is the family."

"Is that wrong? To care more about the family?"

Mondo looked at Irisu sadly.

"It isn't right either is it?"

"Papa... " Irisu stood up and tapped his shoulder slightly.

"You have done so much for the people and the island. You gave up on many things and protected them from things most of them don't even remember anymore. You deserve your own happiness now.

You look after the family and we will look after Regalo. You shouldn't get so affected by the words of a sore loser!"

"Ha... I suppose you are right. I - I'm still worried if we had made a mistake by gathering all the arcana together, so I'm a bit touchy right now."

"Isn't it a good thing they are together? Why are you worried?"

Mondo was silent for a moment and Irisu prodded him again to speak.

"Papa.... doesn't this help the World arcana to stabilise? And we are helping them out too! What's to worry about?"

"Too much power in a single place is dangerous. Regardless of whether it is in one person's hands or shared between many."