Chapter 12

Sumire walked down the corridor alone. She had a plate of food in her hand and she walked a long way. She finally stopped in front of a closed room. She was about to open it but hesitated and instead knocked softly.

"It's me."

On receiving no response she twisted the doorknob and entered the room.

It was empty. The bed was still neatly arranged with a small bag placed at the edge. Sumire placed the plate on a table and walked to the open window. The room was on the ground floor and so there was a direct view of the garden.

She looked out and then with a smile quickly exited the room. She walked out into the garden soon and went around to the part which was outside the room.

"I see you are finding your way around, Jacob!" She said softly as she stood next to the young man lying under a tree.

The youth had his eyes half-closed but on hearing her voice he looked up blankly.

He had brilliant green eyes and pale pink hair, almost white, upto his shoulders. Though the colour of his eyes was bright the eyes themselves were lifeless.

"Are your quarters comfortable Jacob?"

"Yes Mama" he replied.

"I have sent some food to your room. Is there anything else you need?"

"No Mama" he replied again in a detached voice.

They was a moment of silence. The garden was quiet except for the gentle wind around them.

"Mama?"
"Yes?"
"What was all that noise in the garden?"

Sumire wondered for a second what he was talking about. Then she suddenly remembered the commotion at dinner.

"It was nothing Jacob. Just some misunderstanding between some people. Tell me if anything disturbs you too much."

"Ok Mama"

Sumire looked at Jacob quietly. Finding him had been a miracle. Bringing him here a bigger one. She knew it would be dangerous to let him mix with the others. He was difficult to understand and... she was still scared...

I can protect him as long as he let's me... but I can't protect him from himself....

Sumire placed her hands gently on his shoulder.

"You should go to sleep now. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Ok Mama"

Sumire stood by waiting to see if he would say anything more. But Jacob simply stood up and walked to the open window of his room. He quickly climbed in and closed the window, before drawing the curtains.

I should move his room to another floor... it would be safer then...

As Sumire walked back towards her own room she went over the events of the day. She was going to be busy with all these people. Besides finding them appropriate jobs and training routines she had to ensure harmony among all these complex characters.

Some she could understand, others she couldn't but her instinct assured her that they were trustworthy... and then there were some who she felt wary of.

And then there was Jacob. He was her responsibility. And because she had taken responsibility of him that included his curse.

The curse of The Hanged Man.....

*******************************

Jolly opened his eyes to be blinded by the sharp sunlight. With a groan he pulled the sheet over his head and turned away from the window.

"Wake up already!" Shouted Irisu giving a hard blow to his back.

Jolly muttered something under his breath and sat up.

"I was up late working."
"Well nobody asked you to!"
"What's the hurry?'

Irisu was already dressed and she took Jolly's sunglasses from the table and flicked it towards him.

He caught it deftly and after putting them on he said with a sigh
"Be careful."

"Get up already!" She sat next to him and started shoving.

"Uh- Stop..."

"We've got work! The newbies are going to be given a tour to decide which faction they want to join and while everyone is gone Mondo wants a word with us!! Now get up!"

As Irisu tried to shove him again Jolly quickly moved back and before she could move he grabbed her by her waist and pulled her close.

"Why are you so annoying?"

Irisu gave a little squeal and slapped his hand.

"What do you think you are doing?"

Irisu tried to get free but Jolly was having one of his momentary spurts of strength.

"I'm not doing anything special. It wouldn't do if you go around telling people you are my wife and they don't believe it."

"What are you- What does that have to do with anything?!?!"

"It's annoying. Like you. I have a good mind to vent out on you right now."

Saying this he moved towards taking off his sunglasses.

"Oh No!"

Irisu pressed the glasses back and struggled to get up.

"Oh let me off Jolly!"

"I'm not stopping you." He said innocently though he made no move to release her.

At that moment there was a knock at the door. Jolly quickly let go of Irisu, who immediately jumped up and swung the door open.

"Good morning!" Said Lucia cheerfully smiling up at her.

"Oh.... it's just you." Said Irisu with a sigh.

Behind her Jolly seemed relieved as well. He got up and moved towards the bathroom.

"Aren't you happy to see me?" Asked Lucia with a confused look.

"Of course I am!"

Irisu leaned down and patted her head.

"We can go down to breakfast in a bit, ok? I need to make sure Jolly comes too."

"Ok! Can I go out into the garden while I wait?"

"Sure! Don't wander too far."

Lucia nodded her head and ran out happily. She had wanted to say something more to Aunty Irisu. But she had a feeling she had interrupted something and so maybe now wasn't the right time.

I'll ask her tonight!