Chapter 53

"Sumire... " said Irisu as she looked out of the window "Why do you isolate Jacob so much?"

Irisu wasn't expecting any particular answer but felt this was a good question to annoy Sumire.

"It's his choice. I never stopped him." replied Sumire.

"But you aren't encouraging him!" Irisu picked up her sketchbook and started flipping through it.

"I did give him a roommate..." said Sumire with an innocent smile.

"Oh please!" Irisu clicked her tongue "Not like you had a choice! And that old man's crazy!"

It was quite funny how inspite of the fire having spread in the library and many of the ground floor rooms, only Jacob's room had been completely destroyed.

In the end he had been shifted to another wing but now he was sharing a room with Kafka.

"Not like I wanted them to share the room either..." Sumire sighed deeply.

For once she agreed with Irisu on something. It had been Mondo's idea to put the two together and he had seemed strangely adamant about the decision.

"Just admit you don't know how to talk to him either!" Irisu threw her pencil at Sumire, who caught it deftly.

"I would like to see you try then!" said Sumire before flicking the pencil back.

"I will! Nice chatting with you!" Irisu picked up her sketchbook and ran out of the room and into the garden.

"Hello!" she shouted and sat next to Jacob who gave her a wary look.

"How's your new room?" she asked.

"Ok"

"Good.... I'll get straight to the point. I've been curious about something. Your power is shape-shifting???"

Jacob seemed slightly surprised by this question but he nodded.

"Hmm... and here I thought it was just immortality.... " said Irisu without even looking at him.

"How do you know that?" finally Jacob sat up straight and Irisu was satisfied that she had got his interest.

"Well... After that little stunt you pulled I was naturally curious. And like I said.... Sumire is my sister and I know how to get things out of her."

"She told me not to mention it." Jacob said quietly.

"Yeah, she's like that. Don't feel too betrayed. Now, can you change into anything you want?"

"...... no"

"Then?"

Irisu ignored the look Jacob was giving her. She knew this 'you are a pain in the neck' look very well, but it was also quite intriguing how he was a lot more chatty than before and she wanted to push it as far as she could.

"Only animals." Jacob paused "And no... I don't know what exact animals. I've only done that one."

"Oh? Do you not want to try more??"

"I shouldn't... "

"Why?"

"It's not good for me."

"If Sumire was the one who said it then you don't need to take it too seriously. She said the same thing to me when I was ten. Luckily I didn't listen and I turned out great."

"Not Mama.... " Jacob said, with what looked like a faint smile tugging at his lips "I know I shouldn't."

"Hmm.... ok" Irisu dropped the question and was wondering what else to ask when Jacob spoke.