Chapter 14

Lucia ran around the garden happily looking at the pretty butterflies and flowers. She hadn't slept a wink last night. It was scary to be alone in a big room. She had finally curled up tightly and gone to sleep but it was morning by then.

Now she was running around to keep away her worries on having to sleep there alone again. It wasn't because she was exactly scared of the dark but only when she was alone did that thing start speaking.

Thing. Voice. Person. Woman.

She still couldn't settle on a right way to describe it. 'Thing' seemed the least scary for her. It made her happier thinking that it wasn't alive.

But the voice was very much alive. It only spoke at night when she was alone. Back at the home it had always seemed comforting to her. But now it was scary.

Lucia absent-mindedly picked up a pretty little flower and twirled it in her hands. She tried to focus on its bright centre and drown out everything else.

There were so many things going through Lucia's head now. So much that she wanted to say. But she couldn't find the words. Or maybe that thing was stopping her from finding the words.

Aunty Irisu will know what to do!! Everything will be fine!!

She didn't think for even a second that she might get disappointed by this immense faith in Aunty Irisu. That's just how she was. She did everything wholeheartedly.

The only people she hated were the cruel ones. People who hurt other people. But other than that she could will herself to believe the world was rosy.

Her thoughts were interrupted then by the sound of someone laughing. Lucia curiously peered out from behind a bush.

She saw an old man standing under a gazebo and laughing crazily. Lucia felt a bit creeped out and was about to leave when suddenly the man stopped laughing.

A small butterfly flew past him. With amazing agility he grabbed it and then to Lucia's horror, he crushed it and dropped it to the ground. Then he started laughing crazily again as he danced a wild jig.

Lucia was horrified to see that there were countless other crushed butterflies and even flowers on the ground and the old man was purposefully stepping on them as he danced.

Lucia lost her temper.

"Hey stop that!"

She stormed out from where she had been hiding and glared defiantly at him.

For a second the old man stopped and gave her a confused look.

"Eh?"

"Stop hurting them!"

"Eh...Eh ..... Ha....Ha..."

The old man started laughing again and stamped on the butterfly he had just crushed.

"Ha...Ha...."

He then started dancing like crazy again.

"What can you do... little girl?"

He suddenly lunged forward and before Lucia could do anything he grabbed the flower she was still holding in her hand.

"Give that back!" She shouted reaching for the flower.

But the old man was surprisingly fast. He danced out of her way still cackling crazily. Lucia jumped up trying to get it but he waved it high above her head.

"What can you do?What can you do?!"

He taunted her even as she started hitting him in frustration.

"Stop it! Don't destroy it!"

"Destroy? Break! Break! Break!"

The old man started pulling out the petals and throwing them on her head.

Lucia screamed. Her voice was shaking with anger and frustration and helplessness. She had to stop him. She just had to.

"You crazy coot!! Stop it!!"

She then punched him in the stomach but the old man just continued laughing.

"Get it if you can!"

Lucia jumped up and grabbed his hand. She tried to wrench the flower out.

"No!!" The old man shrieked pulling back.

"Give it!"

The frail flower just couldn't take it anymore. It broke off at the stem and the last petal was ripped off.

Lucia looked solemnly at what was left in her hand. Then slowly placing it on the ground she turned back toward him.

"YOU EVIL HORRIBLE CRAZY MAD MAN!!!!!"

It was at this moment that Morgan and Sherlene arrived and they were met with the sight of Lucia cursing at an old man and hitting him with all her strength.

"What's set off the cute brat this time?" Asked Sherlene with a smile.