Chapter 55

"So what am I supposed to do again?" asked Mikino nervously.

It was a good thing that Irisu and Lucia were present because she had heard too many stories by now on why she needed to be wary of Jolly.

"Use your arcana. Make the High Priestess talk. Basically we want to know what she wants from Lucia."

"Mmm...." Mikino looked at Lucia who seemed to be least bothered by all this.

"You will come too right?" Mikino looked at Irisu hopefully.

"Yep!" replied Irisu catching on that Mikino did not want to be alone with Jolly.

She was slightly amused by how the girl had been so easily scared into thinking Jolly was a demon, but she could understand her side of things too.

Mikino listened to Irisu's explanation on how to enter into Lucia's mind using Jolly's arcana.

"We are just going to piggyback his frequency..." she said and Mikino nodded even though she had no idea how all this was possible.

Having strange powers was one thing but the whole thing now seemed like the magical stuff of a fever dream.

But she followed whatever Irisu instructed and felt her consciousness slipping on touching Jolly's shoulder as he activated his arcana.

"This is Lucia's mind?" she asked staring into the vast emptiness.

It was nothing like she had expected.

She thought it would be bright and colourful as after all she was a child.

But the darkness was so profound that it spooked her.

"Let's go" said Irisu and Mikino followed them.

Irisu didn't hurry the other girl because she knew the whole experience was quite enchanting the first time.

"Are we gonna walk all the way to nowhere like last time?" she asked and Jolly shook his head.

"With two of you here it might work faster.... lend me your power and I'll flush her out again...."

Mikino felt a bit doubtful but she complied and Irisu taught her how to release some of her arcana's power in a controlled manner.

"How do you guys know all this?" asked Mikino, failing to hide the awe in her voice.

"This is what I do." said Jolly simply as he began to repeat what he had done last time and expanded his vision area.

"Besides experimenting on people?"

"Yes. Besides that."

Mikino looked at Irisu who just shrugged.

"I don't support everything he does. But yes... we have experience. Did you know that in the past, arcana even roamed freely amongst people?"

"What?? They are just cool powers right?? How can a power wander??"

"Ah...." Irisu sneaked a look at Jolly who did not say anything and so she continued with the explanation.

"They are more than just things... Alive magical beings... Kinda creepy I know, but we have had to deal with free arcana before. Wild and dangerous some of them and as a result we had to learn a lot about the arcana .... we as in Jolly. I just hit what he asks me to. "

"And then you contract them?? Like capturing a genie in a bottle."

"No... we kinda exorcise them"

"What?!!"

"I don't know how to explain! We can't just contract a random arcana! Don't worry though! The High Priestess is bound to Lucia and is not as threatening as a free arcana. Still she acted very weirdly last time and we just want answers."