Chapter 9

Jolly watched Sherlene to see if his parting comment had ruffled her but apparently she was good at hiding her thoughts because there was no look of surprise on her face.

What could she be hiding... she had no reason to come... her reasoning sounded flimsy... she wanted to leave America and we gave her the chance.. what is she running from...

"Jolly, should we get Lucia?" Asked Irisu sitting next to him.
"She's outside with Elmo I think. Send one of the maids for them."

As Irisu went off to call a maid she saw Nova talking very seriously to Elina, the Russian girl.

To Nova it might have appeared that the girl was hanging on to his every word, but it was obvious to Irisu that she was bored to death.

Why can't boys today think up of good conversation.....

"And that's an overall view of the things that we do here. Do you have any doubts?" Asked Nova to Elina.

Elina didn't dare open her mouth. Because the only thing she had said was how there were so many people here. Then the strange boy had started telling what they do, how they do it and so on.

She almost longed for the raucous company Debito and the others had given her on their way here. Another part of her actually wanted to use her arcana and leave a double here to be bored by this boy.

"I hope your room was alright?"

It was Felicita who had asked this question to her. Elina nodded politely.

So many posh people... But as long as they stick to their word I'll tag along....

"Didn't you get a dress?" Asked Felicita suddenly as she noticed how Elina was still clad in faded jeans and a sweater.

"That's my fault Feli." Said Nova embarrassed "What I got were too big for her and after I got a new gown I lost it."

"You what?" Asked Liberta suddenly sitting up.

"I must have left it in some room and we were getting late and so we hurried. I'm so sorry."

"Don't apologise!" Said Felicita with a grin "I was just thinking about Elina."

All three people looked at Elina who had already started shoving the delicious food into her mouth. She looked up and understood that they probably wanted her to say something.

After thinking for a second she said "Yeah, it's his fault. He lost my nice gown."

Nova went red and the other two started laughing.

I probably shouldn't tell him how I threw it out if the window when he wasn't looking... He seems too uptight to understand that I found it itchy....

Nova didn't know what to make of this girl either. She hardly said anything and her poker face expression was enough to drive you crazy. He had tried to show her around the place but she only seemed interested in eating. The only thing she had asked him was "Do you have many ships here?".

Unfortunately Nova didn't know much about this and he had to regretfully direct her to ask Liberta or Dante later. He understood that she probably grew up on the streets but he was astonished by her lack of awareness.

Even when Papa and Mama had come over to talk to her she had just nodded and shook her head instead of responding appropriately.

Nova nudged Debito who was next to him.

"What?"
"Debito... This girl Elina... Didn't you find her difficult to talk to?"
"What? Nah... the brat has a sharp tongue and doesn't talk much about herself but she's fun."

Fun...

"That's probably why you find her difficult to talk to. You're no fun."

Nova gave him a glare but said nothing. He didn't understand why everyone said the same thing. It was true he was serious about stuff. But he did have fun when he was with Felicita and Liberta. How could Debito expect him to behave so frivolously with a person he barely knew?!

Elina used this moment of peace to eat quickly. She looked up briefly and noticed that the other young man seated to her left was looking at her.

"Hello" she said.
"Morgan" he replied.
"Elina"
"You seem to be enjoying the food."
"Yes" she paused for a second and then said "I was a beggar"
"Interesting. I was a magician. We are both from the streets."
"What tricks can you do?"
"Well..."

Morgan sat up and leaned over. He took a napkin and folded it around a spoon. After wrapping it up completely he placed it on the table.

"Unwrap it"

Elina promptly tore the napkin away and instead of the spoon she found a fork inside.

"Oh. You are good." She said with a smile amd then "You must have made a lot of money."

"I didn't do it for the money."
"People always do things for money. Otherwise they wouldn't do anything at all."
"You are very cynical."
"No. It's a fact."

Morgan smiled at her.

"I rather enjoy using my powers. That's why I do magic."
"Sure. Whatever you want to tell yourself."
"Ha! Excuse me?"

Elina sighed and looked directly at him.

"You say we are both from the streets but I think the similarity ends there. You use your powers to entertain people and I used it to steal from them. But both of us were doing it for money and to survive. The only difference is I accept that and you don't."

Morgan laughed.

"And here I thought you didn't know English and that's why you weren't talking so much."

Elina was quiet for a minute.

"You use your powers very well. But you are not the only one." She said.

"I know. And that's why I'm interested to know how good you are."

Elina didn't respond. She smiled and then turned back to her food. There was something about this Magician. He was interesting for sure, but something about the vibe he was giving off...

Elina was not street-wise for nothing. She made a quick mental note to put this guy on the list of people she should avoid if possible.

Possibly number 2 on my list..... The number one slot......

Elina looked at Nova out of the corner of her eye. She desperately hoped that after tonight she wouldn't have to put up with this guy ever again.

The New Arcana Famiglia  [A La Storia Della Arcana Famiglia fanfiction]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara