Brisbane: news I

The silence that followed the doctor's words was so thick you could have sliced it and served it as birthday cake. Time seemed to have gone into slowmotion and for a moment Eddy felt like he was outside of his body, looking down at the cartoonesque scene he was in. 
Four people, suspended in time, amazed smiles starting to form on faces, three pairs of eyes opening wide in astonishment, his own hand moving ever so slowly to Belle's shoulder, whose jaw was very slowly dropping open in shock. 
He shook his head vigorously and looked at the doctor incredulously. 
¨Wha... really?¨ he managed to find his voice, somewhat. 
The doctor looked at him kindly while Brett unfroze next to him and took his hand. 
¨Yes, really. At the moment I see two embryos. At this early stage of the pregnancy it's not that easy to see, which is why I didn't see the second one last week. It also explains why you're feeling so sick; two babies means double the hormones.¨ He was looking at Belle now, who swallowed visibly. 
¨Oh my God...¨ she whispered then. ¨I'm having twins.¨
¨It looks like it!¨ The doctor said brightly. ¨I'll just take some measurements and then I'll give you more information when we're all sat down again. 
He moved the wand around and clicked on his mouse, an arrow appearing on the screen every time he did. It wasn't long before they were ushered out again and Belle could get dressed. 
They didn't say anything, waiting in the hallway; Eddy just pulled Brett to him and held him tight. Really, he just wanted time to hurry the fuck up so they could get back in there. So that he could support Belle, because he had no idea how she was feeling, and so they'd get that information. He desperately wanted as much information as he could possibly get. 
Twins! 
The door opened soon enough and Eddy, never letting go of Brett's hand, rushed to Belle's side. 
¨Are you okay, sis?¨ he said, softly but urgently. 
She looked at him, and he saw straight away that she'd recovered her equilibrium already. 
¨Yeah brother, I'm fine. The way I see it, this means I'll only have to do this once, hey?¨ she said, her face full of humour, but he could see there was a touch of seriousness to it. 
Really? She had thought that far ahead? Wow, his sister never ceased to amaze him. 
The doctor chuckled at her comment.
¨I'm glad that you have such a laid-back approach to it, ms. Chen. It's nice to see you all so happy.¨
It was true, Eddy knew as soon as the doctor said it. Brett's face was a picture of pure, unadulterated joy, and he realised his face must look about the same. 
Wow. Twins. He could believe it. They would be a complete family, all at once! 
¨Right.¨ The doctor said then, interrupting his thoughts. ¨I do have some things to tell you. I'd like to do another ultrasound in a couple of weeks. We monitor twin pregnancies a lot more closely. I have seen heart beats, that is a good sign, but it is still early days of course. We'll know a lot more at our next appointment.¨
The doctor proceeded to give them a whole bunch of information about what they could expect in the coming months, and by the time they got up to leave Eddy felt like his head would explode with it all. 
¨Thank you, doctor.¨ he managed, shaking his hand before they all filed out of the room and walked back into the Brisbane heat. 
As soon as they were out of the building he pulled both Brett and Belle to him and hugged them tight for a moment. His voice seemed to be conspiciously absent, but he hoped his hug would say it all. 

A/N Hi everybody, I hope you're all keeping well in these crazy times! I'm trying to keep up my normal posting schedule, but I'm suddenly home schooling my daughter, so I'm doing my best, hehehe. 
Hang in there, everyone, we're stronger together <3