Maldives: market

They had sat there for a while, hugging each other tight. But Eddy knew their breakfasts would be getting very cold, so he broke the hug, wiped the tears away from his cheeks and asked:
¨You okay?¨
Brett smiled at him. ¨Never better.¨
He hesitated for a moment. ¨Eddy... I'm sorry I lost my shit again.¨
Eddy stroked his hair softly. 
¨I've told you before, you can lose your shit a hundred times more, it doesn't matter. I'm here for you, okay?¨
Brett nodded, his red-rimmed eyes warm. 
¨Now, come on, let's go eat our cold breakfasts, hey?¨
Brett grinned, and Eddy could see that he was back with him. He heaved a silent sigh of relief, as he got up and extended his hand to pull Brett up too. 
¨Just talk to me, okay?¨ he said, quietly. 
¨I will¨, Brett said, and Eddy knew he meant it. He just hoped that he would, that he could. 

He smiled at the waitress as they sat back down at their table, which already held their plates of food, and they tucked in. Breakfast was as lovely as they remembered it, even if it was a bit cold. It was only made better by the plan they had between them now.
Eddy shook his head quietly in amazement. He still couldn't quite believe what had just happened! He'd more or less been proposed to. Wow. 
He could feel the relief radiating off Brett like the waves of the ocean outside that they had become so fond of, and he smiled. 
¨I love you, you know that right?¨ he said. 
Brett's smile widened more. 
¨Yeah. I love you too.¨

After breakfast they walked off to a local artisan market nearby. They happily meandered through the paths, looking at little stalls with trinkets as they went. 
Eddy kept having to remind himself that they were very much in public and he couldn't hug Brett, or take his hand. But the smile was firmly plastered on his face, and he could feel the waves of excitement bubbling up in his chest. 
Really, he thought, looking around him at the colourful stalls and the throngs of people, he just wanted to be alone with Brett, so he could talk to him and hold him. 

¨Bro, do you mind if we head back?¨ he asked. 
He looked left at Brett and found him looking back with a knowing smile. Of course, Brett had seen right through him as usual. It made him grin. 
¨Absolutely¨, Brett said, and then added with a smirk: ¨'s not like I need a bracelet made of coral, anyway.¨

On their way out Brett apparently did see something he wanted to buy though, because he put his hand on Eddy's left arm to stop him. 
¨Hang on a sec¨, he said, before turning Eddy demonstratively the other way as he turned back towards a stall. 
Eddy had to grin again. So, he wasn't allowed to look. Subtle!
After just a minute Brett was back, and they walked off towards their little thatched cabin on the beach. 

¨So...¨ Eddy asked after a while, the crowds behind them now. ¨Just how long had you been thinking about that?¨
Brett was silent for so long, that Eddy stopped and looked at him. 
¨That long, huh?¨ he said. 
Brett just nodded. ¨I'm sorry...¨ he said softly. 
Eddy took his hand warmly in his own. ¨Don't be sorry. I'm glad you brought it up now, I think it's great.¨
¨I will try to talk to you sooner, next time.¨ Brett said, his tone very serious. 
¨I'm very glad¨, Eddy replied. ¨Because I love all of you, and because you have great ideas.¨

As they approached their cabin and were about to walk in Brett suddenly stopped in his tracks. Eddy turned around to face him, wondering what made him stop. 
Brett was looking at him intently.
¨Eddy, I... I hadn't expected you to. But you really like this idea, don't you!¨
Eddy grabbed his hand and pulled him towards him, enveloping him in a tight hug. 
¨I'd not expected it either, my love¨, he whispered in Brett's ear. ¨But I love the idea, yes. I guess maybe I needed it just as much as you did...¨
He could sense Brett's smile, and he felt him relax into the hug. 
¨You always seem to know so well what I need, often better than I do myself¨, Eddy added, moving away slightly to look at Brett. 
¨I feel that way too.¨ Brett said simply. ¨You protect me.¨

Brett reached into his pocket then and took out a little mesh bag. 
¨So, I got something to remember this by. It's not a ring, or anything¨, he said, coyly. 
Eddy eagerly took the bag from him and opened it with his long fingers. 
As soon as he took out the two little black items he understood, and he looked at Brett with wide eyes and beamed. 
¨I love it, Brett! We can actually wear these!¨
Brett just nodded, and took one of them from Eddy, crouching down. 
He fastened the little black leather anklet securely around Eddy's ankle, and then looked up smiling. 
¨With this anklet I thee wed?¨ Eddy said, grinning, before crouching down in his turn, to put the other anklet on Brett. 

¨Yeah, that sounds great¨, Brett replied, grinning happily back at him.