Brisbane IV

A couple of days later Eddy was sat in his car, parked outside his mother's house, breathing deeply to calm his nerves. 
He knew he was being irrational, that his mum had long since made her peace with Brett as her son in law, and that she had been nothing but supportive since they had come back from their world tour. Also, he knew she was actually sad that she'd missed the wedding.
Still though, still there was this nagging doubt at the back of his head, the ghost of a feeling left over from the weeks of insecurity when they'd been in America, when he'd not known whether she was ever going to accept them, whether he'd lose his mother over his love for Brett. 
So part of him was worried. Would she like the idea of a second low-key ceremony? Would she want to walk him down the isle? Or would she be embarrassed about giving him away to a man? Embarrassed about what her friends would think? 
He knew what it would mean to him, to them, if she would be. 
His heart was pounding in his throat by now and he had to give himself a swift metaphorical kick up the backside. Come on man, nothing's going to get worked out by sitting in a car in front of a house, worring about things that may or may not happen. 
He sighed once more, and then he took the key out of the ignition and got out of the car. 

His mum was already at the door as he walked up the front garden. 
¨Eddy! How nice to see you!¨ she said, a warm smile on her face. 
¨Hi, mum!¨
Her smile changed a bit. God, really, was his pokerface that bad? Now his mum could see right through it as well?
¨What's wrong?¨ his mum asked as they walked into the house, a hint of concern in her voice. 
He breathed deeply once.
¨Nothing's wrong, mum, I just have something to ask you. 
They sat down on the couch, each turning slightly so they were facing each other, his mum watching him intently, waiting for his words. 
¨Mum¨, he said in Mandarin, ¨do you remember that you were sad that you had missed our wedding?¨
His mum nodded. 
¨Well, Brett... err.. in the Maldives Brett asked me... he asked me if we could do a small do-over ceremony here for friends and family. And... and I would like you to walk down the aisle with me, if you would.¨
Okay. He had said it. He sat, waiting breathlessly for her reaction, but his mum still hadn't spoken. She seemed to be frozen in time while she took in the news she had just received. 
Finally she spoke in a whisper.
¨You... you want me to give you away?¨
¨Yes, mum, I would love that. And Brett's dad would give him away to me at the same time.¨
Suddenly, like the parting of stormy clouds, her face broke open in a smile. 
¨Of course I will, my son. Of course I will.¨
Eddy's eyes widened as he pulled her into a giant hug. 
¨Mum! I'm so happy!¨ he said, feeling his eyes well up with tears of relief and joy. 
¨Me too, my son, me too.¨ She said softly. 
After a moment she pulled away slightly and looked at him with an earnest look on her face. 
¨I'm sorry that my previous actions made you worried about asking me, Eddy.¨
He shook his head.
¨It's fine. I overthink things anyway, you know that.¨
She laughed softly.
¨That makes two of us, Eddy. Now come on, let's have some tieguanyin, huh?¨

Eddy had just sat down at the kitchen table, his mum busying herself with the tea, when a key turned in the front door. 
¨Belle!¨ his mum called, and rushed to the hallway. 
He heard her talk excitedly to his sister in Mandarin and he smiled fondly. So much for being able to give the news to his sister himself, hey? 
He was so happy that his mum was clearly overjoyed that he thought the corners of his mouth might reach his ears. 
Sure enough, not a minute later, Belle blew into the kitchen like a whirlwind. 
¨Brother! Is this true? Am I going to get my wedding?!¨
He laughed out loud at the enthusiasm. 
¨Yes! You know it's not really an official wedding, right? But I would like you to be my un-official best maid?¨
Her mouth opened and she stared at him in silence for a second, before flying around his neck so violently he was almost knocked off his chair. 
¨Hey! Let's keep the furniture intact, hey?¨ he laughed. 
¨Yes! Of course I will be your best maid! I'm so excited!¨ she squealed. 
¨Really?¨ he said soberly. ¨Hadn't noticed!¨
This earned him a quick jab to the shoulder, her peals of laugher filling the kitchen. 

They stayed there for a while, the three of them, drinking tea and talking about wedding plans. 
Eddy sat at the table he knew so well in the house he knew so well, looking at these two women he loved so much, and he thought his heart would burst out of his chest with happiness and relief.
He was one lucky man.