~Chapter Twenty-Eight~

"Virgil, I... I need to tell you something," Roman said, rubbing the back of his head.

I began tapping my fingers together, frantically. I was almost positive about what he was going to say, but I didn't think that I was ready for that. Not yet, anyway.

Roman and I were close, but far from that at the same time. We were almost polar opposites. I was dark and anxious while hating on myself every second that I was awake. Roman, on the other hand, was kind, sweet, full of himself at times, and still managed to find the light in most situations that were anything but that. I could never be like Roman, and I was content with that. No one in the world could be like him.

Roman was perfect in a way that no one else could compete with.

"What is it, Romano Cheese? Gonna rant about a Disney movie again?" I joked. "Sorry. Please continue."

Roman snorted. "Wow, Virge. Way to ruin the moment, am I right?"

"Sorry," I apologized as I hid my embarrassment from my friend.

"No worries. It's just that... Virgil, I've been meaning to tell you this for quite some time now. I've been trying to figure out how to say this, but I could never find the right words."

I bit my lip nervously and stared down at my lap.

Shit. I don't think that I can do this.

I wanted to tell Roman how I felt more than anything else in the world. Except telling him would be the worst thing that I could do. If I told him, our entire friendship would collapse. Years of me trying to gain his trust would be for nothing.

I was an anxious mess while he was creative and smart and witty and... I cared about him too much. If we got together, I would hurt him. He would see what an obnoxious and selfish person I really was. Once he saw that Roman would never want to have anything to do with me ever again.

"I don't know how you'll react, but please don't be mad for what I'm about to say," the prince continued.

Then again, if I denied the creative trait, it would break his heart. He had already been through so much, and shooting down his hopes would hurt more than anything else. I had learned that before. He would be crushed to the point where there was no light left in his eyes.

I had to do this. For myself, and for Roman.

I held Roman's hand in mine. "You can say anything. I promise that I won't be mad at you."

I had thought that my silly crush on Roman would come to an end. As I fought with Deceit, I slowly began to realize just how much Roman meant to me. Maybe it was love, maybe it was a strong friendship, or maybe it was the beginnings of love. Possibly even the joy of getting to have him back home.

Now I was sure. I knew what this feeling was as Roman spoke these words to me. I knew how I felt about Roman, and I was never going to repress those feelings again.

"I really like you, Virgil, and not just as a friend."

"I-I wasn't... I didn't... you... Oh, screw it. Roman, I-I like you too."

Roman's face turned cherry pink, and he rubbed the back of his head again. "Oh! I um... Well! I had no idea. So... wait. What do we do now?"

"I think that we do this," I said, pulling Roman's face toward mine and kissing his lips gently.

After a moment, we pulled away with enormous smiles on our faces.

"Wow," we both said in unison.

We both laughed in each other's arms and sighed. I don't think that I've ever been happier in my entire life.

"I never thought this would happen," I snorted. "An anxious mess with a Disney-obsessed prince."

"Oh! I'm a prince now, am I?"

"I think we've all known for a while now, Ro," I joked.

"OH MY GOODNESS! FINALLY!" Patton screamed as he burst through the door.

"Patton! Get back out here!" Logan roared. "Don't interrupt them. Sorry!"

The two men left the room and Roman, and I was left staring at each other awkwardly.

"Now what?" I asked my face bright red from both embarrassment and excitement.

"I think we go back to where we left off..." Roman said as our lips connected once more.

Everything was falling back into place at this moment. My new life was just starting for Roman and I. For Logan and Patton as well. There were so many opportunities for the four of us now that Deceit was stopped. Everything could start over, and we could start a new story of our own together.

Everything was perfect now, and I wouldn't change it for the world.