~Chapter Twenty-Seven~

He hates me. He hates me. He hates me, I repeated over and over in my head.

I hurt people, and I would have killed Deceit if he hadn't stopped me. I'll never be able to deal with this.

Patton grabbed my hand reassuringly and smiled. "It's gonna be okay, kiddo! Don't freak out."

"How did you...?"

The young man pointed at my dark grey skin and the thin mist around my hands and arms. He swatted away the fog and dragged me toward the house.

"Pat, I'm so sorry about what happened during the fight. Please try to understand," I insisted.

"What are you talking about? Why would you be sorry about getting Roman back? If it wasn't for your idea to fight Deceit, I don't think that we ever would have gotten Roman."

"But, what if Roman thinks otherwise?" I wondered nervously.

"He won't."

I huffed and let Patton lead me to Roman's room. All the while, I kept repeating the same sentence in my head.

He hates me.

The next thing I knew, I was standing in front of the white door with the red and gold sign. Roman's name was painted in cursive letters with a little sword underneath.

"You can do it," Patton whispered.

I nodded and opened the door slowly. I took a few steps forward, and I froze.

Roman was sitting on his head with a fuzzy red blanket wrapped around him. He had a calm expression on his face as he looked down at a movie case in his hands. He lifted it closer toward him, and I was able to see that it was Alice in Wonderland. Seeing that movie in his hands made me feel a bit of hope.

"Roman, someone's here to see you!" Patton sang, hopping past me.

Roman jumped in surprise and looked worriedly at the doorway. Once he saw me standing there, he smiled excitedly.

"Virgil!" He exclaimed. "You're okay!"

My face felt warm, and I stared down at my feet. I could hear Roman laughing in front of me. I looked up awkwardly.

"Why are you laughing? Did I do something wrong?"

"Your face is bright red, so it stands out," Roman giggled.

After the prince stopped laughing, an awkward silence hung in the air.

"Are you feeling better?" I asked, startling Patton and Roman. "And um, I'm sorry, and I hope that you aren't mad at me."

"What?!" Roman gasped. "I'm fine, but why in the world would you think that I was mad? In fact, I couldn't be happier that I'm back. What you did was okay since you did it to save us, to save your friends. Come here."

The creative trait patted the space next to him, and I sat down. Roman held out his hand, and I took it reluctantly.

"I know that you can't help feeling anxious about all of this, but trust me, I'm proud of you," Roman explained before hugging me.

"Thanks, Ro," I mumbled into his shoulder.

"No. Thank you for bringing me home. Now I can be with all of you again." He let go. "I've never been happier."

I felt my face warm up again, and I tried to hide it from the creative side. "I just want to resolve everything that happened. I went behind your backs, and I became a Dark Side, I joined Deceit, and I—"

"Virgil," Roman said sternly. "Don't put yourself down for the things that you did. The reason why you did all of that was to protect Logan, Patton, and I. There's nothing wrong with protecting your friends."

"I agree," Patton and Logan said from the doorway.

"Thank you, guys," I said, blinking back tears. "That really means a lot to me."

"And Virgil?" I turned toward Roman. "You're perfect the way you are, so you don't need to be worried that we don't like you in this form. No matter what you look like, you're still Virgil, and that's what matters. We love you for who you are, not by what you look like."

Patton squealed, causing Roman and I to jump.

We looked over at the two sides, which were nodding while trying to hide back enormous grins.

"What the hell is up with you two?" I asked.

"Sorry," Logan apologized, pushing his glasses up. "We will lave the two of you alone."

Logan took Patton's hand, and they ran off down the hall after slamming the door closed. Now that they were gone, something seemed unsettling about this situation.

With Roman and I alone, I instantly became more self-conscious about what I was doing. My fingers were tapping anxiously against my thigh, and I could feel my heartbeat quickening.

"Are you okay?" Roman asked, with a look of concern. "You seem stressed out about something."

"I-It's nothing. I'm just worried that I made the wrong choice by letting Deceit go. I should stop. I'm sorry," I said, looking away with embarrassment.

"No, no. It's alright. I know that this is important to you," Roman sighed, pulling me close to him. "Maybe Deceit might become better now that you did that for him. Even if he doesn't, you did the right thing by letting him go. Don't hurt others if they hurt you because it makes you no better than they are. Sure, that's not the best thing to say in this case, but you had to hurt him to save him. If that makes any sense to you."

"Thank you, Ro," I said before hugging him again.

"Virgil, I... I need to tell you something."

Thank you all for 10K!!! You're all amazing! Shoutout to @ElliottGreen333!