~Chapter Eighteen~

The lights in the house snapped on again, while all of the snakes around Deceit's hands turned their heads towards me.

"It's time," the deceptive side said to the slithering creatures.

They all hissed in agreement, sending a violent shiver rippling down my spine. Their green and yellow eyes closed for a moment and when they reopened, they were the same as Deceit's.

The entire house began to shake, tossing Logan, Patton, and I to the floor while the deceptive trait stayed perfectly still. Patton screamed as he collided with the coffee table and I clambered over to help.

"Patton, are you hurt?" I asked.

The shorter man nodded and pointed to his leg. It was beginning to swell and his ankle was bent back in a way that it shouldn't.

"Oh... oh my God. Hey, Logan? Pat's leg doesn't look so good," I said, trying not to gag from the awkward angle of the dad-like trait's foot.

Logan stumbled over to us, but just as he reached Patton and I, the house completely disappeared into thin air.

The sky was completely empty of anything besides a neon yellow sun that drifted down so it was above Deceit's head. All around the four of us was oily, black water that was only about an inch deep. Off in the distance I managed to see what looked like the Dark Sides' home, only this time it was glowing the same eerie shade of yellow that Deceit and the snakes were.

Deceit snapped his fingers and Roman instantly appeared next to him. Luckily, he was free of the chains that the cruel man had put on him; however, he was thin and pale. He even seemed paler than the torn coat that he was wearing.

"Roman," I gasped.

His brown hair was oily and matted. Roman's once bright and sparking eyes were now dull and barren of life. Dark circles formed around them, making it seem as if he was wearing eyeshadow like me. The bright red sash that he would always make sure to have with him was now just a few threads that were knotted together. Meanwhile, his pristine, white suit was shredded and covered in stains from God knows what.

I looked away after a few moments, unable to see him in such a horrid state. If... Once we got out of here, I would make sure that Roman's clothes were fixed and his health restored.

The snakes sprung outward from the hands of their master and landed on the floor at his feet. All together, they formed a giant ball of glowing scales, filled with dark powers. They coiled around Deceit's feet before slithering toward Roman. They hissed, showing off their long, black fangs.

Roman yelped and backed away from them.
I stood in place, to scared to make a move. I had to help Roman, but I was too weak. There wasn't anything that I could do.

Don't you want to save him? Deceit's voice rang through my head.

Yes. Yes I do Deceit and that is exactly what I am going to do.

"Roman, run! Don't let those things get you! Go, you idiot!" I exclaimed, gesturing for him to get over to Patton, Logan, and I.

He smiled weakly and stumbled in my direction; however, the creative trait was not fast enough and one of the snakes began to wrap itself around his right leg. Roman reached out to pull off the snake, but it barred its sharp teeth and bit down into Roman's leg.

"No!" I screamed, lunging at my friend. "Roman, no!"

The blood in his leg's veins turned pitch black and began to snake along the rest of his body all the way up to his face. Roman became deathly pale and his eyes transformed into those of the deceptive trait that had started all of this.

"R-Roman?" Patton stammered, scrunching up his face in pain as he stood up.

Logan tried to get the young man to sit back down, but Patton was defiant and when he wanted to do something, he wouldn't let people tell him otherwise.

Roman cackled raising his arms into the air. "You see, Virgil? Being a Dark Side is great! I mean, look at all of the power that I have now!" Dark red smoke wafted around him much like the green mist that Remus had.

"Roman, this isn't you!" I cried. "That power is only used for evil and you know that. You gotta try to fight it!"

"I'm sorry, Virge. It's too late for that," he smirked, the smoke around him growing stronger.

The snakes instantly made their way to Patton who was trembling from both fear and the pain in his leg. He screamed just as the snake bit his broken ankle. His blood became black and his eyes were now yellow.

Logan stepped over to him and placed his hand on Patton's shoulder. "Patton, please tell me that you are not unwell."

Patton turned his head around to face the logical side and grinned. "Oh, Loggy! Why would I ever not be happy? Everything is perfect now!"

A snake slithered up Logan's leg and bit his shoulder. In seconds, he was gone as well, turned into the Dark version of himself.

All three of the "Dark Sides" turned to face me. On their faces was the same hypnotized look and wide grins.

"Join us, Virgil," they all said in unison.

"No... Deceit, please turn them back," I begged, backing away from them.

The snakes slithered across the oily water toward me, all barring their fangs.

This was it. They were going to turn me back into who I was before and there was nothing that I could do.

I shut my eyes tightly and prepared myself for what was to come, but there was nothing that could prepare me for what was going to happen next.