~Chapter Twenty-One~

"Guys, where's Roman?"

Patton screeched and jumped back as I appeared in front of him and Logan. His mouth was agape, and he was pointing at me in horror.

I looked down at myself, fearing the worst, and saw that I was still a Dark Side. The paleness of my skin made me seem almost transparent, and the purple mist was darkening. That must mean that I'm more anxious and worried. I needed to add that to my list.

"Look, I can explain, but first, you need to tell me where Roman is."

"W-What happened to you?" Patton whimpered. "Don't tell me that you joined them again!"

Oh no. That was right.

I had completely forgotten that the four of us had never worked out the dispute between Deceit and I. We also hadn't taken care of everything that had happened to Thomas. They were most likely going to try to shove me back over to the Dark realm regardless of what I told them at this point.

"Patton, I need to explain everything that happened," I said.

"No," he replied. "You can do that when we are all back together again."

All back together? Wait. Did that mean?

"Roman?" I shouted. "Are you here, Ro?"

Patton sobbed into Logan's shirt, making small wet spots appear on the cloth.

"Patton and I believed that the two of you would be returning together. He did not appear at the same time as us, so we made an assumption. Unfortunately, it seems that he is not with you, Virgil," Logan said softly.

"No," I gasped, stumbling backward into the stairs. I caught myself before I fell and sat down on the carpet. "No, no, no. He promised. He promised that he'd bring him back! DECEIT PROMISED TO BRING ROMAN BACK!"

Patton shrieked at my sudden outburst and the darkness that clouded around me.

"He broke you," he cried. "He broke you."

Patton sunk to the floor and punched the ground. After a few seconds, the young man looked up. His face was red from crying, and tears had stained thin tracks on the sides of his face. His dark-rimmed glasses were fogged up, but Patton was too hurt to notice.

"Shh, Pat. We will find a way through all of this," Logan said soothingly, hugging Patton.

"I'm sorry," I said, my voice was no more than a whisper.

"Well, you sure as hell should be," Logan snapped.

"I did it to save Roman." Patton and Logan eyed me suspiciously. "All of this was to save him. When Deceit was here, he said that I was a Dark Side, and he wasn't lying. The only reason that I agreed to become one again was to ensure Roman's safety and to bring him back home. When you two were sent back, I believed that he was sent here too. I had no idea that he wasn't."

I crawled over to the dad-like trait and placed my paperwhite hand on his shoulder. "Patton, I'm so sorry for yelling at you. Now that I'm a Dark aside again, it's harder for me to control my fear and anger. I'll try to find a way out of this, okay?"

The curly-haired man nodded his head and threw his arms around my neck. "I'm sorry too. I should have made sure that you were safe."

"You did everything that you could, Pat. Thank you," I smiled. "We're gonna find him this time."

"If you do not mind me asking, how did you return to your original state, Virgil?" Logan asked.

"I don't mind. Deceit was the one who did this, so he is most likely the only one who can change me back. Knowing him, it'll be difficult, but I'll do my best. If that fails, we'll have to find another way. We can worry about all of that when that time comes. For now, we need to focus on getting Roman back."

Patton sighed and sat back down next to Logan. "We've tried so many times already! What if we never get him back?"

"We will this time. I know it. There's only so long that Deceit can keep fighting like this," I reassured him. "We just need to come up with a plan that is better than the others that we've come up with in the past."

"Once we get him back, we're going to stop Deceit for good, right?" Patton wondered.

I promised him that we would and proposed that we should start planning now so we could set out for Roman the next morning. Patton grinned and clapped his hands together excitedly.

"We're gonna save Roman!" He cheered.

"Remember, Patton. We need a plan first."

The three of us sat in silence for a few moments, before Logan stood up, startling Patton and I.

"I have a plan."