~Chapter Twelve~

It had been years since I had last seen the home that I had grown up in, but I was able to recognize it instantly. With it's dead, twisted trees, and black and red sky, there was no way that anyone could mistake it for someplace else.

"Welcome back, Virgil," a voice hissed from behind me.

I turned around, prepared to attack whatever monster might appear from the shadows. I squinted into the darkness, and after a few seconds, a pale yellow snake slithered over to me. There was a strange, hazy glow around its body that grew stronger the closer that it got to me.

"I can sense your fear," it hissed. "You're afraid that you'll lose him. You're afraid that he'll die. You're afraid that they'll find out what you did."

"Stop it! Shut up!" I yelled, running away from the yellow snake.

"Where do you think you're going?"

My eyes widened, and I faced the snake again. Instead of the yellow one that I saw before, Deceit was standing in its place with a wide grin.

"Oh, Virgil! I didn't know that you came by for a visit!" an annoying, high-pitched voice said.

I turned around again and saw Remus, Roman's brother.

"Deceit, Remus. You better explain what the hell is going on here," I demanded.

"Anything for you, Virgey, but you're gonna have to pay a price," Deceit smirked.

"Don't you dare call me that again, you disgusting snake."

Deceit looked shocked at my response. "But I thought you cared about us! It would be a shame if you didn't."

As the deceitful man spoke, his eyes began to glow bright yellow just as the snake had. A pale yellow light surrounded him, and Remus giggled with glee.

I suddenly felt something coil around my ankles and wrists. I looked down and saw Deceit's snake wrapping themselves around me.

"Deceit, let me go!" I roared, struggling to get the snakes off of me. However, the more that I struggled, the tighter their grips on me became.

"Deceit, please," I pleaded. "I'll join you, I'm sorry."

Another snake slithered up and coiled itself around my neck, choking me in the process.

"It's too late to be sorry, Virgil. Not after what you did to me."

The world turned red and black, making Deceit look as if he was on fire. There was nothing that I could do as Deceit stepped over to me as I slipped out of consciousness.

***

I woke up with a painful headache and chains on my wrists. The room that I was in was dark but light enough for me to know where I was. It was my old room that I stayed in when I was a Dark Side.

"You're finally up. Deceit will be thrilled!" Remus said, letting out a quick cackle before dissolved with a snap of his gloved fingers.
I groaned and sat up in my old bed.

The comforter was still the same plain black with purple stripes on the opposite side. There was one lonely, black pillow on the bed as well that was different from the one that I used to have. The original pillow was the same dark purple color as the one on the blanket.

"I wonder where the other one is?" I thought quietly.

"I got rid of it. I would have loved to keep it. It always makes me so happy to remember all the amazing times that we had when you were around," Deceit said from the doorway, making me jump in surprise.

"You know that you could have knocked."

"Of course, I knocked! Why wouldn't I?" He smirked.

I stood up and made my way over to Deceit. "Well, you listen here, you little—" I was jerked back as the chains ran out. I had only made it a few steps.

I'm his prisoner again. After just a few years of finally being able to live freely, and I'm back here, trapped and defenseless.

"Oh, I don't think that you'll be getting very far with those," Deceit chuckled. "If you want to be set free, you'll have to join us."

"I already said that I would, you snake."

"You have to swear on the life of your friend." With a snap of his fingers, a cloudy image appeared next to Deceit.

It was Roman, looking even more miserable than he did before. His clothes were ripped and dirty, he had bruises across his body, and he was just as thin as I was.

"R-Roman..." I said, reaching out for him.
Just before my fingers touched the yellow smoke, the image faded away.

If I didn't join them, there might not be another chance to save Roman. The problem was that it would be impossible for the creative trait to get back to Patton and Logan without my help. I was the only one that could navigate through the Dark Sides' realm, and Roman was far too injured to be escaping from a place like this.

"I—"

What would the others do in a situation like this? Would Roman want me to join them? Of course not. He would sacrifice himself to save Patton and Logan. Would he do the same for me? I doubted it. He has always hated me because of how I used to be a Dark Side. There was nothing that I could do to make him change his mind.

Remus suddenly appeared out of nowhere and placed his hands on my shoulders with an evil smile. "Make your decision, Virgil. The clock is ticking!" His warm breath smelled like rotting fish, making me gag.

Do you want to go back to this? The torture, the pain? Just for someone that hates you?

Even if Roman did hate me, Patton and Logan would as well if I came back without him. Although our chances of escaping this place were little to none.

"Fine. I'll do it."