~Chapter Twenty-Three~

"Virgil, you need to wake up," a calm voice said, shaking my shoulder.

I was shocked by the sudden touch and felt a wave of panic and fear shoot through my body. My skin turned pitch black as I sat up and shoved the figure as far from me as I could.

The figure screamed, followed by a thud as the figure slammed into the wall next to my bed. The door was rammed open and light flooded my room, temporarily blinding me.

I blinked a few times, and I was able to see who the figure was.

"Oh shit, Patton, I'm so sorry!" I apologized, rushing to help the injured man.

Suddenly, a heavy body rammed themselves into me and knocked me to the floor.

"How dare you hurt Patton!" Logan roared, pinning me to the ground with his arms.

Patton was shivering as he crawled on his hands and knees over to Logan and I. "Logan, it's okay. Virgil was scared, and he didn't know that it was me. He can't help feeling scared all the time now, so don't blame him."

"But he--" Logan began before Patton signaled for him to stop, and they would talk about it later.

Logan got up and released me from his surprisingly strong hold. He stepped in front of Patton protectively, and eyed me suspiciously, watching my every move.

God, if he doesn't stop doing this, I will seriously hurt him, I thought to myself.

What was wrong with me? Why would I ever think like that?

Shit. If Deceit doesn't turn me back, I'm screwed.

I rubbed my eyes, trying to clear my head from this morning's insanity. "Sorry about all of that. Patton, I didn't mean to hurt you. I hope that you can forgive me."

The curly-haired man smiled and assured me that everything was fine. He was not hurt, and he promised not to wake me like that again. "I think that it's best if we head on our way. I don't want anything else to happen. No offense, Virgey."

Logan held out his hand, and a small, navy blue backpack appeared. He opened the bag and told Patton and I that he had brought food and water for our trip to the edge of the Mind Space.

I peered inside and saw three bottles of water along with a loaf of bread, a butter knife, and several jars of Crofters jam. I rolled my eyes and sighed. That was Logan for you.

Patton giggled at what his friend had packed and gave him a hug. A blush spread across the logical trait's face as the young man let go.

It was time to bring back Roman.

***

It had been hours since we had left our house, and we hadn't taken a break since.

My legs were sore from the fact that I never exercise, and this was the most that I had walked in my entire life. I was always someone who would walk to the fridge for a snack and then right back to my room to watch a show. Whether that was in the Light or Dark Realm.

On the other hand, Patton and Logan seemed determined and were at least a few meters in front of me, as they had been since the beginning of the trip. Neither of them seemed too tired at this point.

Roman would probably be up there with them as well since he was always training to fight dragon witches. I still had no idea why something like that would attack us. We were in Thomas's mind.

Speaking of Roman, he must be awake around now. I couldn't even bear trying to imagine what horrible state that he must be in right now. I had stayed in the Dark Realm even longer than him, but at least I hadn't spent that long of a time trapped in Deceit's room. Sure, I had been locked in his room for days on several occasions just so he could torture me. Still, knowing that Deceit hated Roman, he was sure to be treated even worse than I was.

Back when I first came to the Light Realm, Roman had been quite hesitant around me while Patton had been elated to have another side to talk to. Logan was distant as always, but he was there for me in a way, probably because of Patton.

It had taken months for Roman to start opening up to me about things, and after a while, we became closer. I must have made Roman confused about how I felt toward him since it was hard for me to have friends. I had never really had them.

Patton was like a dad to me, Logan was like a sibling and Roman... I had never really known how I saw him. Maybe it was something that I had never considered. Maybe a grandma?

I stifled a laugh, but the two sides in front of me turned around anyway.

"Ooh!" Patton squealed. "Virgil, you have a little blush today!"

He hopped around me, laughing and giggling while I begged for him to stop.

"It's nothing. Leave me alone," I groaned, hiding inside of my hoodie.

After a couple more jokes and puns, Patton skipped back over to Logan and left me alone with my thoughts. They instantly returned to Roman.

What had happened to us? We were so close all that time ago when we had watched Alice in Wonderland together, but it had all changed the morning after. We had fallen asleep together during the middle of the movie, and once we woke up, everything changed.

I wish that I could smile about that memory, but the only feeling that I had when I thought about it was heartache.

I wanted nothing more than to have Roman back. To joke about Disney movies and listen to him hum sweet melodies next to me. When he came back, I was going to make sure that I spent as much time with him as possible.

I just wanted us to all be back together again. They were my family.

But what would Roman even say if he saw me in this state? Patton and Logan are terrified of me, so I doubt that he would be any different. Hopefully, I could be changed back before Princey ever saw.

Roman was such a sweet person once you got to know him. From his awkward chuckles after Patton made a horrible dad joke to the kind smile that he would give me whenever I was having a rough day. Everything about Roman was perfect in his own way. Hell! I mean even when he's mad he's still adorable.

Wait... adorable? Um, I didn't just think that, right? Roman is well... Roman. It wasn't like I liked him or anything.

I felt my face grow hot, and my palms started to sweat.

Oh shit. Who am I kidding? I like Roman, okay?!

I sighed and stared up at the darkening sky with a frown.

He'd never like me back anyway, so I should just shove those feelings into a bag and throw it off the edge of the Mind Space. It was probably nothing anyway. Just some strange form of missing someone that you care a lot about. Surely that was it.

What mattered most at the moment was getting to the edge safely and quickly. Once we get there, I'll sort out all of these feelings. If we never did, well, we would never be getting Roman back.

This was our last chance.

Guess who's back? Back again. GreySide's back. Tell a friend. (Sorry for that.)