~Chapter Twenty~

I woke up soon after, my arms and legs numb. I lifted up my arm and screamed.

My arms were as white as a sheet and an eerie purple glow surrounded my fingers. Wisps of smoke curled around my arms, spiraling into the air around me.

I was a Dark Side.

***

I sat on the oily black floor for a few hours before I finally got up.

It was almost impossible to see now that Deceit and the others were gone. All of the light from the sun above the Deceit's head was gone as well.

"Virgil!" Deceit proclaimed, appearing out of thin air, making me jump back in surprise. "You look nothing like you did before you left us! Please don't follow me back to the house with the others. I'm sure that they'd hate to see you again."

"No," I said. "You promised that you'd let them all go, and you'd tell me your plan if I got turned back. I'm not going anywhere until that happens."

"Fine," the deceptive trait groaned, snapping his fingers. "There! Done!"

"How am I supposed the believe you, you lying bastard?!" I cried.

Deceit shrugged. "I guess you don't?"

I slapped my forehead and moaned. "Just tell me your plan, dammit."

"God, Virgil, when did you get so demanding?" Deceit asked, sounding exactly the way he did when he took over Patton.

"JUST FUCKING TELL ME!" I roared.

My eyes widened, and I slapped my hand over my mouth. I had really become a Dark Side. I could feel my anger bubbling up inside me, every so often it would spill out. I had forgotten what all of this had felt like, almost making me regret my decision.

Come on, Virge. You don't mean that do you? A voice like Patton's rang through my head.

I thought that you cared about us, Roman's voice hissed.

After all of this time, you have always thought of us as those that were lesser than you, Logan's voice said.

You were always a Dark Side, Virgil, and you know that Deceit will never let us go, they all said in unison.

"Shut up!" I screamed, falling to my knees. My skin turned black, and the purple glow around me became stronger and darker. "Shut up now!"

Deceit stood next to me and watched with a smile. This was what he wanted.

I was broken and haunted by my past. There was nothing that I could do to protect me from the darkness inside of me.

"Did you forget that this would happen?" Deceit wondered calmly, making me clench my fists in irritation.

"No," I hissed. "Stop being so calm about this. Can't you see that this is a lot to handle at once?"

"I'm so sorry. I didn't know that this would hurt so much."

"Why the hell can't you tell me why you want me back? What is this all for?"

"I want to be accepted," he sighed.

"That's bullshit, and you know it. You have never cared about what others thought of you."

"You see, that's where you're wrong. I want people to see who I am. Instead of who they believe me to be. I needed you back because, without you and your power, this plan would never work."

"My... power?"

"Yes. That was why I made you get angry, so that way you could get used to accessing your abilities. Virgil, together we are going to take over all of the other Sides. Together we can take over Thomas and become the ones that are in charge. From there, we can spread to other people like Thomas's friends and family. Don't you see it?! We can rule the entire world! Fear and deception. Just the two of us and our army."

"You're insane," I laughed. "You're actually insane! Do you really believe that it'll work? Spreading across the world? Just because you don't want everyone to be afraid of you doesn't mean that you have to take over them."

Deceit stepped through the water to me and held my hands tightly. He stared into my eyes and lifted my hands to his chest. "This is the only way, Virgil. You have to believe me on this."

"No, I won't. There is always another way to solve your problems that something like this. Don't tell me that there isn't and that I won't understand your pain. I've been feared before too. In fact, I technically am Thomas's fear. Roman, Patton, Logan, Remus, the other Sides, and even you have been afraid of me at times. You all have the right to be afraid of me, but I'm not always the bad guy."

Deceit let go of my hands, and his arms dropped to his sides. His eyes turned yellow and returned to brown as I spoke again.

"Back when I was anxiety, before you turned me back, I couldn't help being the way that I was. All that I wanted to do was keep the people that I cared about safe. I was constantly worrying that I was going to make the wrong choice or make things worse for Thomas or the others. I couldn't help being anxious, but I put up with all of the pain to protect everyone. So despite everything that you have ever done to me, I'm going to help keep you safe as well."

"Your friends have been released. I promise you that they are free," Deceit sighed, hiding most of the hurt behind a smile.

"Thank you, Deceit."

Deceit held his hands out, golden colored smoke flowed from his gloves. "Unfortunately, that means that you have to leave as well."

"What?! Why are you sending me back? I thought you wanted me here!" I cried.

The Dark Realm began to fade and I could see my home with the others in its place. Deceit was sending me back, but why?

"You will never be a Dark Side again, Virgil. I'm sorry."

In a moment, the Dark Realm was gone and I was standing in the Light Sides's living room. Patton and Logan were there, while Roman was no where to be seen.

"Guys, where's Roman?"