~Chapter Three~

"W-Why are you here?" I stuttered as I backed away from the creative trait.

Roman glared at me. "You don't need to know. Just... go bother someone else."

I snarled at the man as I pushed him away from me. He had no idea what I had been through. He had no right to tell me what I could and couldn't do.

"It's not my fault that I'm this way!" I yelled at Roman. "Do you ever think that maybe I want to be helpful? I never did anything wrong, Deceit!"

I froze up when I realized what I had just said. Whenever I got mad, it would usually be around Deceit, so I was used to saying his name.

Roman put a hand over his mouth. "I'm so sorry. I didn't know."

I shook my head sadly and began to walk back to my room. "It's not your fault. You have nothing to do with any of this, so just leave me alone."

"Well sorry for trying to be nice, Emo Nightmare! See if I care the next time you're sad. Oh, wait! You always are!" Roman shouted at me as I stepped inside my room.

I slammed the door shut behind me and sunk down to the floor. My breath hitched as a single tear fell down my face.

They would never understand me. Sure Roman was sorry for me, but he didn't have to act like it was his fault. It was mine, not his.

I tried to explain that to him, but I just couldn't control the fear of him coming back. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't move forward. Maybe I never would.

***

Roman's POV

"It's not your fault. You have nothing to do with any of this so just leave me alone," Virgil hissed as he stomped off towards his bedroom.

I had never said that it was my fault, so what was his problem? He never told any of us about his life as a Dark Side, so this was all new to me. I had never known that Deceit had been so cruel to him.

"Well sorry for trying to be nice, Emo Nightmare! See if I care the next time you're sad. Oh, wait! You always are!" I retorted.

The anxious side looked hurt, and I opened my mouth to apologize.

"Virgil—" I began as he slammed the door in my face. "I didn't mean what I said. I'm sorry."

I turned away from the door and winced at the muffled sound that came from behind it. Virgil always kept his room locked up, and it would only unlock for Patton so getting in was hopeless. He would never let me inside after what I said, but it was worth a try.

My hand slowly rose up to the door, shaking from fear. I doubted that Roman would answer so there was no reason for me to be afraid. Out of the few years that I had known him, I had never been in Virgil's room. Maybe that was why I was scared. I had never seen what was inside.

I knocked on the wooden door and waited for a response. Seconds went by, and I was right about to leave when I heard the sound of a lock clicking.

He actually unlocked it? I thought in surprise. Well, here goes nothing.

I turned the handle and stepped inside. It was freezing compared to the warm hallway that I was just in. The walls were all painted black and glowing stars on the ceiling lit up the small room.

There on the other side of the room facing away from me was Virgil. His back was illuminated by the dim light of the stars, casting an eerie glow around him.

My voice was quivering as I spoke out to the man. "V-Virge? I just wanted t-to tell you that I was sorry."

As I got closer to the anxious side, I saw that his shoulders were shaking. He was crying.

What have I done?

***

Virgil's POV

"V-Virge? I just wanted t-to tell you that I was sorry," Roman stammered as he entered my room.

I hastily wiped away my tears and turned around to face him. If he saw that I was crying, it would probably make things worse for both of us. It was already hard enough after what we had said in the hall. Hopefully, the others hadn't overheard.

Roman's face was filled with worry so he must have seen. It was too late now, so I would have to explain what was wrong.

"Why did you come in here?" I questioned.

"Because you unlocked the door for me. I'm really sorry about earlier and I didn't mean what I said. I never knew how hard things were for you back then. I'll do anything to help you, Virgil."

I rolled my eyes at the prince-like man. He never kept his promises for anyone, so he obviously wouldn't for me. Roman despised me more than anything else in the world. I was a dark and gloomy cloud to his sunny, perfect day. Nothing I did could change that. Roman knew that. Right?

"I'm sure you mean that, Prince Charming. But honestly, you never care about anyone but yourself," I shot back. "Stop acting like you care."

The creative trait sighed and held my hands in his. I tried to pull away, but his grip only tightened. "I'm not acting. I really do care about you, I just... have a hard time showing it. Whenever you're having a hard time, I will be there for you, okay?"

I stared at Roman in awe. He really did care this time. I nodded my head as he pulled me in for a hug, and for the first time in years, I let him.