~Chapter Nineteen~

I closed my eyes and waited for the golden snakes to sink their teeth into me. There was nothing that I could do to escape them.

Seconds went by and nothing happened.

I opened my eyes and saw that the snakes had stopped about a foot away from me and were staring directly at me.

"Join us, Virgil," they all said.

"Please join us, Virgil," Deceit pleaded, making his way over to me.

The snakes parted so the deceptive man could get closer. He held out his gloved hand, his eyes filled with hope of me joining him once more.

I stared up at him, terror coursing through my veins.

He had just taken over my friends and he dares to think that I'm coming back? After all of this, I just wanted to give Deceit and the other Dark Sides the pain that they deserved.

"You must be out of your goddamn mind if you think that I'm going to join you," I shot back.

"Virgil, don't listen to me," Deceit begged. "I don't believe what I'm trying to tell you."

I opened my mouth to make a rude remark, but snapped it closed.

Wait was he trying to get me to listen to him? God! It was so difficult to tell when he was lying!

"S-So you want me to listen to you? You... aren't lying to me right now?"

Deceit nodded. "No, of course not. Sorry. This makes things difficult... Anyway, I have always wanted to be understood by you and those Light Sides."

"Well, you've never made a big deal about this before, so why the hell should I care now?"

"Virgil, all I want is for people to understand what it's like to be a Dark Side. To understand what it's like to be feared by everyone! You have no idea what it's like to be thrown away by the people that you care about!" Deceit sobbed.

"You're wrong, Deceit," I said. "I do know what it's like."

The deceptive trait's eyes widened in surprise. "You... do?"

"When Patton brought me back to his home that day, Logan and Roman wanted nothing to do with me. Eventually, Patton managed to show Logan that I wasn't as bad as he thought, but it took a lot longer for Roman. You say that I have no idea what it's like to be treated like I'm nothing, but the truth is, I have dealt with that more than you could ever know."

Deceit laughed maniacally. "Really?! Oh wow, Virgil! More than I could ever know? Yeah, right."

"I don't understand," I confessed softly. "What do you mean?"

Deceit stepped closer to me and grabbed the front of my jacket, pulling me to him. "All of this is your fault," he hissed into my ear. "Your friends are like this because of you. You left me; you left all of the Dark Sides, you treated us like we were nothing to you, you hurt me, Virgil." By the end of his statement, Deceit was in tears as he recalled the horrible memories of when we were trapped.

The deceptive man let go of my jacket and stumbled backward so he could get any from me. He wiped the tears from his eyes; the heartbroken look on his face turned dark and severe. Somethings had changed in Deceit in a matter of seconds, and I was not sure if I wanted to know what it was.

"I will ask you again," Deceit sighed. "Join me, and I will let your friends go. If not, then they will permanently become Dark Sides. When you join, you will have to join the Dark Sides permanently, and you are not allowed to go back. Only then will I tell you why I am doing all of this."

You have do join them. Don't you want to save them? Who cares if you have to stay a Dark Side!

No. I had to think about this. What if Deceit was lying? Sure, I hadn't heard the obnoxious and sarcastic tone in his voice in quite some time, but he still might be lying. He might not let Roman, Patton, and Logan go. There was no way to tell.

Stop being so anxious and paranoid! Stop worrying so much and join him so you can save your friends!

But what if this was what he wanted? Maybe this was all to get me back so I would regain all of my powers. He could try to use my abilities to do something horrible! I couldn't let Deceit do that, but I had to rescue them. I had two options and I needed to decide now.

"Why should I believe you?" I asked. "You promised me things before, but you always tricked me in the end. What makes this any different?"

"Virgil," Deceit groaned, rubbing his forehead. "Your friends care so much about you. They couldn't care more about whether you were a Light or Dark Side. If you really care about saving them, you know what choice you have to make."

I shook my head. "You know nothing about them! Nothing! Don't you dare act like you do!" I felt tears running down my face and I choked back a sob. "No matter where I go, people will be afraid of me, but that doesn't mean they do. I trust them!"

"But do they trust you?" Deceit smirked.

I froze. I had never thought about that before. All this time I had been focusing on myself, never paying attention to what Deceit said. Was I really accepted with Roman, Patton, and Logan? Did they even trust me at all after everything that's happened?

"I-I don't know," I gasped.

"Exactly. Now what is your decision?"

This next choice would change my life and everyone else's. If I chose the wrong path, Thomas could be in serious danger, but which choice was wrong and which one was right?

"Clock's ticking, Virgil," Deceit reminded me.

I squeezed my eyes shut tightly before opening them again. The first thing that I saw was the distant looks on my friend's faces.

"Fine, I'll do it. Just promise me that you'll let them go."

"Done," Deceit said with the snap of his fingers.

Suddenly, an enormous wave of pain flooded through my brain and everything went black.