~Chapter Six~

I plopped down onto my bed and stared up at the glow in the dark stars. Deceit had vanished just a few minutes ago, but it felt like days had gone by.

I wasn't sure whether I should go tell everyone what had happened or just stay here and hide.

There was a knock on my door, so I commanded it to unlock. The door swung open, and Patton crept inside, holding a bag of cookies.

"Shh! Don't tell the others!" he whispered loudly.

"Patton, I thought that Roman ate them all!" I laughed before munching on one of the chocolate chip cookies.

Patton shrugged mischievously as he bit into one of the many cookies that he had shoved into his hands. He had chocolate stains all over his face, making it seem like he had rubbed a brown face mask all over himself.

I sighed and leaned back into my mound of pillows. Patton quickly followed suit and together we finished the last of the cookies.

"Are you doing alright, kiddo?"

I hesitated before saying that things were fine. By the look on the smaller man's face, I could tell that he didn't believe me.

"Okay, fine! Deceit... Deceit came in here, and he talked to me. He didn't do anything, I swear it's just... I'm kinda scared, Pat. This is all my fault," I mumbled into the sleeves of my black hoodie.

"Virge, this is not your fault. If it's anyone's fault, it's his. You never did anything wrong," Patton said, giving me a hug.

I felt a few tears run down the sides of my face, and Patton wiped them away with a sad smile.

"Everything is going to be okay. I promise. We are all here for you every step of the way. We're going to stop Deceit," he said.

Somehow I found it hard to believe him.

***

"Deceit did what?!" Roman screeched from the other side of the couch.

I slapped my hands to my ears at the sound, and Patton rushed over to me to make sure that I was okay.

"Wait! I have a vocab card for this," Logan announced from the dining room table. "Ahem. Be more chill, bro."

I choked back a laugh at the reference and shooed Patton away who was running around in circles trying to keep me safe from Roman.

"How dare he treat you like that, Marilyn Morose!" he exclaimed, marching back and forth across the living room.

"Like Logan just said, calm down, Ro it's fine. He barely even did anything," I said, attempting to hide how panicked I was.

All three of the sides stared at me as if they could see right through my white lie. They all had the same obnoxious, sympathetic look on their faces. I was sick of that look because of how many times they did that. I could easily fend for myself without their help.

I groaned with irritation and decided to go raid the fridge for something to eat. When I opened the door, all I saw were rows and rows of Crofters jam.

"Are you freaking kidding me you two?!" I roared at Roman and Logan, who instantly began to have a laughing fit.

"S-Sorry, Virgil! Crofters is the only kind of jelly that I'll put in my belly!" Logan said between laughs.

I moaned into the refrigerator door before slamming it shut. After all of this, it would be best if I just went to sleep. It was getting late, and I had been through a lot. There was only so much that I could handle at one time and unfortunately, it wasn't that much.

"Night, you guys," I said as I shuffled up the stairs to my room.

"Nighty night, Virgey!" Patton replied while the other two were still cackling on the couch.

I nodded my head and waved goodnight to the three of them.

Once I was safely back inside my room, away from the sounds of laughter, I sighed with relief. No Patton, no Logan, no Roman, and most importantly, no Deceit.

There was a knock on my door just as I tossed my blankets over my head. I hissed and cursed myself for jinxing my luck.

"Come in," I groaned from beneath the bedsheets.

The door creaked open and closed softly as footsteps made their way over to the foot of my bed. It couldn't be Patton because he would usually say 'Hi, kiddo!' whenever he entered the room. Deceit would have just appeared, and Logan would have told me who it was before coming inside. That only left one person.

"Roman?"

"Yeah," said a soft voice from nearby. "Sorry if you were trying to sleep. I just wanted to check on you after everything that happened today."

I told him I was fine before poking my head out so I could see him.

His face was red from laughing, but I could also see a faint blush that was dusting his cheeks. Roman's fingers were tapping against the sides of his legs, almost as if he was nervous about something.

"What about you?" I asked. "You seem kind of worried."

Roman's eyes grew wide and he stumbled across his words as he said, "Oh, yeah! I um... I'm fine. Nothing w-wrong whatsoever."

"Something tells me that you're lying," I said, sitting up and in my bed.

"How could you tell?" Roman wondered aloud, rubbing the back of his neck with a half-smile.

I gestured to him and tried to look as annoyed as I could, which ended up being a lot more complicated than I thought due to the innocent face that the creative side was making. Something about it made me feel better. Somehow all of the dark thoughts were cleared from my mind for just a second, before returning once more.

"Oh," Roman said quietly. "Well, I'm worried about you and everything that's been happening. I mean, Deceit is here! He hurt you, Virgil! I don't know how to protect you after what he did earlier."

"Hey! He may have come after me but I was able to defend myself. Also, I don't want any of you to get hurt or involved in all my problems. If something bad happens to me, it doesn't matter. I'm not important compared to all of you."

"That's not true," Roman retorted, looking horrified. "You are just as important to Thomas as Patton, Logan, and I are. Don't ever think otherwise."

Without a warning, Roman pulled me in for a hug and whispered so softly that I could hardly hear him. "I don't want to lose you."

My eyes widened as those words echoed through my head.

I don't want to lose you.

I had never heard that before.