Chapter 82: Unlucky Charms

Wendy woke to the sound of laughter. The voices belonged to Peter and Michaleen. They had left the bedroom for the kitchen, but their merriment carried throughout the house like bird songs.

Wendy smiled. It was the most beautiful thing she had ever heard.

Brushing aside memories of her nightmare, Wendy rose from bed. Always a firm believer that pajamas belong in the bedroom, she immediately prepared for the day.

It took longer than she anticipated. Although she was eager to join Michaleen for breakfast, the availability of a hot shower and spacious lavatory was absolutely indulgent. The Second Star's singular facility was...less than five stars, and there was always a line (providing they weren't on a death-defying mission).

Wendy spoiled herself. She set a piping hot shower. She lathered with soaps that smelled like pineapple. And in a glorious blunder (as she was searching for towelettes), she stumbled upon Lilo's hairdryer and spent much too long pampering her hair.

"Cleanliness is next to godliness." Wendy murmured, slipping into her spacesuit. She didn't even mind that the graphene was still soiled with star dust. 

Feeling refreshed, she gathered her shadow working gauntlet, doubled back for her phone, and went downstairs to join the boys for breakfast.

"Mommy!" Michaleen climbed from his chair. "Hi Mommy!"

Wendy knelt as Michaleen ran from the table. Her heart melted for the millionth time as he greeted her with a million tiny kisses.

"Good morning darling!" Wendy glimpsed Peter grinning from the breakfast table as she lifted Michaleen. 

She also noticed seven brimming bowls of dry cereal set around an empty box of Lucky Charms.

"Well, well, well..." Wendy joined Peter at the table, Michaleen on her lap. She grimaced humorously as Lucky Charms crunched beneath her feet. "What do we have here? I didn't know you could scramble cereal for breakfast."

Michaleen reached across the table.

"There was a prize in the cereal box!" he said, retrieving a light-up shamrock keychain. Pressing the center, he proudly displayed it to Wendy. "See? It lights up! Daddy helped me find it!"

"Very nice." Wendy congratulated. "But it's my understanding that the prize isn't supposed to be found until it's poured out." 

She looked over Michaleen, at Peter. "Perhaps Father forgot?"

Peter helped himself to an overflowing bowl of Lucky Charms. "Me forget? Oh Little Mother..." He popped marshmallows into his mouth. "It's like you don't even know me!"

"Daddy said I could find the prize if I say LLLucky ChaRRRms with a big L and big R every time." Michaleen flicked his tongue against his bottom teeth. "LLLucky. Big LLL. ChaRRRms. Big RRR. LLLucky ChaRRRms."

Wendy stroked Michaleen's hair. "Well done darling. Your prize is well deserved, despite the corrosion..."

She looked pointedly at Peter. Peter batted his eyes.

Wendy shifted a bowel in front of Michaleen. "Did you eat any cereal?"

Michaleen played with his new keychain. "Not yet. Daddy said we should wait for you."

"Well that was very sweet, thank you boys." Wendy rose for milk. She kissed Peter along the way. "We had best eat then, hadn't we? Today is Wednesday and someone has to get ready for school."