Chapter 25: Neverland Misadventures - Monsters and Memories

(When: 9 Years Ago)

They all asked Wendy the same question:

"How do you know? How do you know the Jolly Roger has been found? How do you know Hook is alive? How do you know? How do you know? How do you know?"

Each question was followed by a hundred more. Where was the Jolly Roger? What galaxy was it hiding in? How long did they have until Captain Hook attacked?  Was he following them? Who else was alive – Pitch Black? Facilier? Captain Flint? 

They asked more questions than Wendy had answers. But the answers she gave them were the truth.

Well...at least..the half truth.

"Shadow found the Jolly Roger. How? I'm not certain, but I think it was a lucky mistake. You know how I've been sending Shadow to Fantasia? Well I think he took a wrong turn – you know...second star to the left, second star to the right, it's really quite confusing. In any case, Shadow took a wrong turn, and instead of going to Fantasia, he ended up in the Milky Way Galaxy by a little planet called Pluto..."

"And that's where Hook is?" Jim verified, "Pluto?"

Wendy doubled checked with Shadow. Shadow gave two somber thumbs up.

"It seems so." Wendy said, eyes flicking to a dark figure behind the sails. She gazed a moment, then confidently nodded. "Yes. The Jolly Roger is on Pluto."

They stood for a moment, reflecting on the hardships that Captain Hook, Pitch Black, and Facilier had brought to their lives. They thought of their pact with Queen Illysa, their promise to stay in Neverland until Captain Flint was apprehended. They thought of Fantasia, the place their children may never learn to call home.

"Alighty then!" Ariel hiked her trident. More than anyone, she knew that too much silence could be dangerous. "Captain Hook has been found. Let's kick his butt."

"Set sail!" Jim agreed, snapping into attack mode. "Ariel secure the lines, make sure every end is knotted! Morph you help Ariel, check that every line is free of their cleats and off their winches! Peter, power the pixie dust engines, I want full throttle! Wendy you activate the solar sails while Silver hoists the boom! And Shadow..."

Shadow jumped. He looked around, bewildered. Was Captain Stupid Face actually talking to him?

Jim smiled. "You found the Jolly Roger. You are the only one that knows where we're going. So..."

Jim slid a hand from the ship's wheel. "Take the helm."

WHAT?! AHHH! YAYYYY! Shadow went berserk. He flipped, cart-wheeled, did one-armed push-ups, and celebrated just short of giving Jim a kiss before seizing the helm and setting sail for Pluto.

It was a hopeful moment for the guardians. 

Naturally, Peter was willing to take all the credit.

"My shadow! Good ol' shadow! He's a chip off the old block!" Peter patted himself on the shoulder. "Good thing we're both so clever."

"Try lucky." Jim corrected, joining the guardians at the forecastle deck. He surveyed the stars. "Shadow got lost, it's just a coincidence. Damn lucky coincidence, so we better not blow it."

"And I think we have Wendy to thank." Sisterly, Ariel punched Wendy's arm. "If you hadn't sent Shadow to Fantasia, he never would have taken a wrong turn! Girl power!"

"Lucky ducky." In a dark, yet good-natured way, Peter focused on Wendy. "But lucky nonetheless. How do you explain it Wendy?"

Wendy tried to make light of the accolades.