Chapter 87: Mad Hatter's

Jim had never been to a tea house before, but he quickly discovered that Mad Hatter's was not his scene. There were a number of reasons why, but one in particular sat right at the top of his hate-list:

"Seriously? You don't have any coffee?"

The barista - a teenager with luscious brown hair and oversized glasses – pointed to an overhead chalkboard.

"We do offer one coffee selection." She guided Jim through the beverage list. "Right here. Frothy Coffee. It's actually something I introduced, similar to a dry cappuccino but with a brewed coffee shot in addition to the traditional espresso. Obviously the foam art is included, I can create any image you'd like."

She prepped her register. "Would you like a tall, grande, or venti?"

Jim looked at Morph. Morph shrugged. He had already asked for a bubble-tea and Jim hadn't been receptive to that either.

Jim pushed aside his caffeine headache.

"Okay kid – "

"Dawn."

"Fine Dawn...I swear I'm not trying to be a pain, but I literally didn't understand a thing you just said. Look..." 

He aimed both hands at the chalkboard. "Do you have coffee? Just coffee? No frills. No froth. No unicorn essence. Just plain black coffee?"

Ariel muffled her laughter. The moment she saw Mad Hatters she knew Jim wouldn't like it. Heck – the moment she read the online reviews for Mad Hatters she knew Jim wouldn't like it! The tea house had earned a 4.4 out of 5 star rating for 'super artistic teas' and 'cerebral atmosphere.' 

In person was no better. There was zero uniformity to the décor. Tables were paired with an assortment of couches, bean bags, and chairs. Shoes were optional. Mismatched socks were encouranged. Vegans were given preferential treatment. Gluten free vegans were treated like gods. And most importantly...

"No black coffee." Dawn made a sad face. "Sorry. But I can make you the Frothy Coffee instead."

Jim blew his bangs. He scanned the array of ingredients behind the counter.

"Didn't you say the drink comes with shot of brewed coffee?" he asked, eyes falling on a bag of whole beans.

Dawn followed his gaze.

"Yes." she said unenthusiastically, anticipating his next question. "It's a medium dark roast. But we only use it for the Frothy Coffee shot."

"Okay..." Jim said, "But if a customer made a special request for a Frothy Coffee without froth and extra coffee, couldn't you make an exception?"

"Well I could..." replied Dawn, "But that would be so far below my skill level, I would feel guilty cheating my customer out of the best beverage experience I could provide him, so I wouldn't."

Unthreateningly as possible, Jim lent an ear.

"Come again?"

Dawn was only too happy to explain. Poor girl. Bless her ignorant heart, all she wanted to do was kill Jim with coffee-kindness.

"Anyone can pour a cup of coffee." Dawn said. "But I have my baristas license and my brewers license. Last summer I got my barista's license at Tony's Restaurant. That's the coffee capitol of Fantasia. And this summer I interned with none other than the Mad Hatter himself, Reginald Theophilus III, to earn my license in brewing tea."