Chapter 88: Nick Wilde and The Loch Ness Mobsters

Oddly enough, Peter and Wendy weren't worried about King Arthur's text, which infuriated Jim to no end. They hadn't been in Fantasia twenty-four hours, they were already in trouble, and it was all Peter's fault! By all accounts, Wendy should be livid and Peter should be irritated by her reaction.

But they weren't. Wendy and Peter were lost in la-la-land. They kept whispering and giggling like lovesick puppies. Wendy even took a bite of Peter's maple-bacon-chocolate donut, even though she thought it was too rich for breakfast.

"I think..." Sarah guessed as she, Jim, and Ariel observed from behind, "They must have met Michaleen. I've seen him several times – once when he was two, once when he was three – but Michael and Lilo tell me he's the sweetest little kindergartner you ever saw. Very lovable. Very cute. I imagine he makes anybody feel like a good parent."

"Good parent – bad parent. I don't think Wendy would care." Ariel motioned across her stomach. "She went to hell and back for Michaleen. Seeing him alive must be...must be..."

Ariel trailed off, unable to formulate her feelings into words.

Sarah studied Wendy, silently interpreting Ariel's unfinished comment.

"I've known Wendy a long time." she finally said, readjusted her work bag. "She's always been a little mother hen, mostly to Michael and John. Always drying the tears, feeing hungry bellies, relentlessly holding her family together. She's always been nurturing. But I must say...I've never seen Wendy so confident."

Sarah kissed her thumb, then pressed it to Jim's cheek. "Motherhood will do that to you. Alright kids – I'm off to work."

"You're leaving?" Ariel made a sad face. "You're not going the rest of the way with us?"

"You haven't got far." Sarah pointed across a cobblestone quad. The stones were grey, lavender, and shaped like dragon scales, giving the illusion of walking over a gigantic, scaly tail.

"Follow this path to the quad. You'll see a statue with a fountain, possibly a girl playing a violin. If you cross the quad and keeping heading straight, you'll be at Fantasia School for the Magically Skewed."

Sarah gestured behind them, to Fantasia University. "The high school and university are on opposite ends of the quad, so if you keep going straight you can't miss it. Okay?"

Jim nodded. "Seems simple enough. Thanks Mom."

"Of course." Sarah gave them each a hug (including Morph). 

"And as for Melody," she said, "We'll have a little party tonight. Just the four of us – five with Morph. Melody loves pizza bagels, so we'll make those. I guarantee you..."

Sarah gently clipped Jim's chin. "Things will go much differently than they did with Jak. Alright?"

With their plans set, Sarah departed. Ariel and Jim caught up with Peter and Wendy, and the guardians made their way across the quad.

The quad was just as Sarah described: it was a cobblestone courtyard surrounded by academic buildings, with Fantasia University on one end and Fantasia School for the Magically Skewed on the other. 

 In between, there were bookstores, tech supports, student-friendly eateries (like Mad Hatters), and a cathedral –sized library.

It didn't stop there.