Chapter 13: Neverland Misadventures - Trust Fall

Chapter 13: Neverland Misadventures – Trust Fall

(When: Maybe 17ish - 18ish Years Ago)

Living with a baby aboard the Second Star was not easy.

But living with each other was pure torture.

Initially everyone had been painstakingly polite. They took turns doing chores. They waited patiently in line for the bathroom. They said "please" "thank you" and "you're welcome" a million times a day. Even Peter was afraid to step on somebody's toes. 

However, by the time Ariel had her baby, they were at each other's throats.

Everyone fought with everyone. Peter was vulgar, Jim was moody, Wendy was snobby, Ariel was bratty, Silver was snarky, Morph was weepy, and Shadow was just a pain in the butt. As a matter of fact, the best behaved person on the ship was Jon – and he was only one month old.

Wendy sighed. King Arthur's cohabitation experiment seemed to be bringing out the worst in everyone, not their best. Instead of coming together, the guardians were growing apart.

"I suppose that's what families do. Families fight." Wendy sighed again, this time lighter. Tip-toeing by Jon's nursery, she ascended the main deck. "I just hope...I do hope we'll start the forgiving-and-forgetting part soon."

Wendy could appreciate the hypocrisy of her statement. Deep down, Wendy knew she was the grudge-holder of the group, and she knew it was an extremely unattractive quality. But for whatever reason, it was hard for her to 'forgive and forget.' Emotion – it always superseded her logic.

Unlike Peter. Or Ariel for that matter. Peter and Ariel were like flame throwers. They could get SUPER MEGA MAD! But then, they were totally fine. Both had an uncanny ability to kiss and make up (without holding a grudge).

"Speaking of making up..." Wendy scanned the solar sails. "Where are you Peter?" 

She found Shadow immediately, lounging in his usual spot, but Peter was harder to find. Wendy knew he was up there (they had arranged this meeting beforehand), but for what Peter had instructed her to do, Wendy would prefer him to be in line-of-sight.

Temporarily giving up the search, Wendy roamed the deck, glancing occasionally into the sails per chance Peter would appear. 

She drifted into Jim, who was quietly manning the helm. Wendy suspected steering the ship was therapeutic for him -- especially with the new pressures of fatherhood. 

"Captain Hawkins..." Wendy did a little dip. "Fancy seeing you here."

Jim focused on the stars. "Thought tonight was date night."

"It is." Wendy smoothed her dress. It was pastel yellow, an atypical color, but accented with her signature sky blue. "But I can't find Peter. Have you seen him?"

"Nope. Sorry."

"It's fine." Hands behind her, Wendy leaned against the mast. "I'm sure he'll show."

Jim glanced. "You two have another fight?"

Wendy stared ahead.  "What makes you think that?"

"Your last three date nights." Jim pulled the wheel. "Which you had after you last three fights."

Wendy pursed her lips. "Peter didn't make the bed. Again."

"Yikes. I guess marital bliss with the One and Only Pan isn't all sunshine and roses, huh?"