Chapter 113: You're Not a Voice. You're Just a Ringing In My Ear

"Half past five..."

Wendy scanned the sky. Arms crossed, she glanced at Fantasia School for the Magically Skewed, forefinger tapping with every passing second. "Where are you Peter? I'm due in twenty five minutes."

Of course she was referring to the Underworld. Thus far, she was the last guardian to return to her realm, and she needed to be punctual. After all – the Underworld's epicenter was a gigantic clock tower. Big B.E.N. would frown all over his glittering face if she arrived late.

Shadow was also anxious. He liked the Underworld and he couldn't wait to return! Babysitting Michaleen had been fun, but he preferred to work alongside Wendy. Shadow working was a sneaky, disreputable profession - perfect for a mischievous soul, such as himself.

And, whether Wendy knew it or not, Shadow thought they were a great team.

Consequently, he didn't think they should wait for Peter.

Wendy was forced to agree. Begrudgingly sending Peter a text (instructing him to meet her at the Magic Oven) she lead Shadow into the school.

Classes had long let out for the day, so Wendy had no trouble locating the cafeteria. When she got there, a grumpy janitor named Carl Fredrickson accused her of "trespassing," but otherwise didn't care if she went into the kitchen to find the Magic Oven.

"Lady – you could be looking for a dancing teapot. I don't care." Carl shoved his cart. Several unfilled balloons slipped from his cleaning supplies. "Kitchen's in the back. Doubles as after-school detention, so watch out for rejects."

He jabbed his quad cane. "And don't make a mess."

Wendy grabbed Shadow as he darted off to do just that.

"Thank you Mr. Fredrickson." she said, restraining Shadow like a dog on a leash. "Everything will stay exactly as I found it, I promise."

Carl grumbled something cantankerous, leaving Wendy to haul Shadow into the kitchen.

When they arrived, Wendy half expected to find Jim scrubbing lunch trays with Mr. Silver. But apart from the dishes and appliances, the 'temporary detention ward' was vacant.

Moving to the very back, she found the Magical Oven.

"There you are..." she said, eyeing the blackened glass door. She approached charily as Shadow smothered it in kisses. "Hello Underworld."

Of course Wendy didn't expect a response. But as she spoke, someone whispered -

Hello Wendy.

She jumped, hand flying to her ear. The voice had been close, directly over her shoulder.

But the kitchen was empty.

"Hello?" she said, heart racing. Remembering Peter's tardiness, she scanned the ceiling. "Peter is that you?"

Nothing. Not even a snicker (which was usually how Peter gave himself away).

Massaging her ear, Wendy turned to Shadow.

"Did you hear that?"

Shadow was just as flummoxed by Wendy's behavior as she was by the voice. Scratching his head, he pointed quizzically at the magic oven. Something inside?

"I don't...think so." Wendy reached for the oven door. "I could have sworn someone said my name. Still..."

Wendy grasped the oven handle.