Chapter 150: Catch a Shadow Day

Friday September twenty first.

Wendy's phone rattled on the nightstand.

 "Three in the morning..." Blearily, she tapped a text from Jim. "What in the world could be so important?"

 Three more messages buzzed through, answering her question:

"Catch a shadow day?" Wendy dropped onto her pillow, careful not to disturb Michaleen nuzzled between her and Peter

"Catch a shadow day?" Wendy dropped onto her pillow, careful not to disturb Michaleen nuzzled between her and Peter. "What does that mean?"

Peter grinned as she fell back asleep. "It means no school today."

He was being vague: there was much more to Catch a Shadow Day than no school.

Catch A Shadow Day was a national celebration held in Wendy's honor. It marked the advent of her guardianship, the resurrection of the Underworld, and of course, the magic of shadows. As such, it fell on her birthday, September twenty-first.

Many considered Catch a Shadow Day the precursor to Halloween because it involved costumes. Little kids dressed in glittery black outfits with long detachable ribbons and capes. The goal on Catch a Shadow Day was to chase and collect as many of these detachable garments as possible.

The entire day was basically a huge game of tag. 

Teens and college students embraced the holiday as well, but instead of tag, they played flag football, with glittery black belts.

Non-sporty types went hard on shadow cosplay, which usually took the form of shadow angels, shadow demons, or shadow fairies.  Regardless of the interpretation, eyeshadows were always smokey and goth was king. Bonus points were given for steampunk.

Eager to experience the holiday, the guardians treated Wendy to an early breakfast at Mad Hatters, which was holding a 'buy-one-get-one-free' tea special.

Free tea on a 'Wendy holiday' – imagine that.

After breakfast, they went to the park for tag.

The park – in fact, every park – teemed with tag competitions. Everybody was playing tag: friends, families, running clubs, business leagues  – there was even a semi professional wheelchair division.

Michaleen and Melody challenged their parents, and the teams were split kids versus adults, with Peter on the kids' team. The kids won of course and the adults treated them to black magic sundaes, which was black ice cream (activated by edible charcoal) drizzled with sugar cookies and marshmallow syrup.

Gwen and Jak were texted multiple times. Neither responded.

Wendy however, received a text From King Arthur: