Chapter 62: Kicking Ass

The worst part of the race was always the start. The sickening pause before the gun always turned Gwen's nerves to jelly.

But once Gwen started running she left all panic behind. Running was the one thing in her life she could control.

Gwen loved running.

And she was good at it.

"Go Gwen!" Already panting, Ping brushed Gwen's shoulder as she passed. "Go get 'em girl!"

Gwen nodded. Falling into her stride, she chased the front of the pack.

Drake and Electra had quickly taken the lead, with Drake slightly ahead. The Viking siblings were already throwing elbows at each other as they vied for first place, which made the onlookers scream with excitement.

Drake and Electra were followed by a slew of Vikings. Several Fantasians followed them.  The high density of runners created a wall between Gwen and the leaders, blocking her from the front.

Gwen charged for the outer edge. If she could go around the runners before the archway, she'd be able to catch Drake and Electra. The archway was so narrow, so it would force the runners to funnel beneath it. If Gwen didn't reach the front before the archway, the she would get stuck behind the slower runners.

If she wanted to win, she couldn't afford to lose first place.

If she wanted to beat Jak's record, she couldn't afford to lose the time.

Gwen sprinted along the outskirts.  Dirt flew from her heels as she sped towards the front, passing runners like a gust of wind. She had raced most of these Fantasians before, so they were used to her athleticism. But many of the Vikings were surprised by her comeback. Perhaps it was cocky, but Gwen really enjoyed the shocked expressions as she breezed by.

The archway was approaching. Now was the time to make her move.

Cutting inward, Gwen darted behind Electra. Glancing back, Electra increased speed, but Gwen caught her in a second. They ran neck-in-neck only long enough for Electra to curse and Gwen to smile. After that Gwen left her behind.

Drake was the only competitor ahead. Pumping her arms and legs, Gwen ran hot on his heels.

Cheers erupted as they neared the archway. The Vikings cheered for Drake and the Fantasians cheered for Gwen. Several dragons bayed as Drake passed under the archway, strengthening the Viking applause. Gwen raced after him, expecting increased support of her own, but instead she heard something else.

"Blllltthhhzzzz! Hahaha! Flyyyyy Gwennnolyyynnnn! Flyyyyyyy!"

Gwen's ears pricked. Someone was blowing raspberries. Someone was calling her Gwendolyn instead of Gwen.

Gwen looked up. Sunlight pierced her vision, but she already knew the culprit.

"Rufio."

Gwen glared at her cousin. The moment was fleeting, but it was enough for Rufio to wave his sign as Gwen disappeared under the archway. 

"Fly!" Rufio cackled as the Beatle Boys carried his taunt. Gwen could just imagine them flapping around like flying monkeys. "Fly Gwendolyn! Fly!"

Gwen clicked her tongue. Rufio knew she couldn't fly (despite her Fern Gullian heritage). He also knew she hated to be called Gwendolyn. The full name was too reminiscent of her mother.

Rufio knew how to push her buttons. And he pushed them every chance he could get.

Gwen's temper burned. Anger coursed through her body like gasoline. Fueled by her emotions, Gwen tore after Drake.