Chapter 21: Neverland Misadventures - Eris

Chapter 21: Neverland Misadventures – Eris

(When: 12ish Years Ago)

Wendy was stunned. She didn't know what to think.

But she knew how to react.

"Gwendolyn..." Wendy turned calmly to her daughter. She forced a kind smile. "Why don't you go join Ariel? It looks like she needs a little help organizing all those gifts. Could you be her personal helper?"

Gwendolyn was torn. She loved organizing and she dearly wanted to help, but separating from her mother in a room full of strangers was unbelievably frightening.

Wendy sensed her distress.

"Don't worry darling. It'll be alright." Wendy directed her daughter at Ariel. "I'll watch until you're all the way there."

Gwendolyn assessed the pathway to Ariel. The distance was short, but it was swarming with aliens. 

"Can I run?" she asked.

Wendy squeezed Gwendolyn's shoulders. "Just this once," she said, kissing her cheek. "Try not to bump into anyone. Alright?"

Gwendolyn nodded. Then, clutching a pigtail, she darted into the party. The first few strides were terrifying, but she ran straight to Ariel, pausing only to dodge party guests as they crossed her path.

As promised, Wendy waited until Gwendolyn reached Ariel. Once her daughter was safe, she returned to Eris, the mysterious, self-proclaimed shadow worker.

"If this is at trap..." Wendy said, deciding to ere on the side of caution. "Be aware that my husband and brother know that Ariel and I are here, and they –"

"Trap?" Eris touched her chest. "Why would I harm you? I've waited a long time to meet you."

Wendy frowned. "You have?"

"Yes. I've never met another shadow worker. I thought I was alone in the universe. I thought that I would die in the darkness, mind eaten by the very shadows I controlled. But suddenly...everything changed." 

Eris extended a hand towards Shadow. Wendy noticed blood red nails as Eris stroked his cheek.

"Everything changed." Eris repeated, drawing black, feathery strands from Shadow's essence. "This shadow found me. He recognized me as a shadow worker...but he didn't attack. He tried to be friends. I didn't trust him at first – I've learned to be wary of unfamiliar shadows. Shadows to a shadow worker are like bees to honey...compatible...but honey is sweet, and bees sting."

Eris released, allowing Shadow's essence to slip across her fingers. "But this shadow was different. He was...tame. Most shadows are wild and wicked, but this shadow was docile. True, he still had a mischievous streak but he didn't try to hurt me. He showed me memories of his adventures. He showed me memories of his human host, Peter Pan. And...he showed me memories of his shadow worker...his master..."

Eris faced Wendy. "He showed me memories of you. Wendy Moria Angela Darling. A shadow worker...just like me."

Wendy opened her mouth to challenge Eris' credibility, but Eris had already continued. Moving too fast to outmaneuver, Eris grasped Wendy's hands. Wendy stepped back, startled by the feeling of Eris' hands. They felt...odd. Eris' skin was cold, but it was accompanied by a fluid sensation, as if ice water were flowing between them.

What's more, Wendy felt connected to Eris. No...not connected...she felt...open. The moment Eris touched her, Wendy's worst memories poured from her brain and into Eris' hands. Wendy would have tried to stop the surge, but Eris' memories were also flowing into her, and the mental exchange was staggering.