Chapter 123: Fight Club

The wind hit the beach, hurling cold puffs of sand. The faster Gwen ran, the harder the wind blew, tossing her pigtails in every direction.

Gwen leaned forward, jousting with the wind as she searched for Jak.

Inky clouds covered the sunrise. The sky became dark, like a marbled tabletop.

Almost suddenly Gwen saw Jak, sprinting over the dunes from the opposite direction. With the wind at his back, his strides were almost acrobatic.

Gwen slowed  as they approached but Jak sped up. Without warning, he swung for her head.

It was by sheer luck Gwen avoided his fist. She lost her footing with the effort, and slammed onto her back. Jak's arm came at her like a machine gun. He struck the sand as she scuttled away, barely missing her temples.

"Get up!" he barked, ripping Gwen to her feet. "Hands up! Protect your face!"

Heart racing, Gwen obeyed, raising fists to her chin.

"Elbows in!" Jak yelled over the ocean. He shoved her elbows, forcing them parallel. "Bring knuckles to your cheekbones! Tuck your chin!"

Leaning back, he demonstrated. Then he punched.

Gwen flinched, but the strike (albeit mild) connected with her wrist (not her eye).  Understanding the benefit of keeping her hands up, Gwen solidified her stance, aimed for Jak, and punched.

Jak blocked her with his elbow then immediately returned the punch. Gwen covered her face as Jak hooked her neck and wrenched her into a choke hold.

The hold was light, but Gwen panicked. Driving her fist backward into his groin, she waited for Jak to hunch over, then drove her elbow up into his jaw.

Jak, however, was ready. Reeling back, he dodged the blow. His maneuver was effortless; Gwen might as well have been blowing bubbles at his face.

"That all you got?" he grunted. "What's next – fairy wings and a tea party?"

Gwen growled at the childhood reference. As Jak released, she swung around, fists raised.

Jak mirrored her stance. Slowly he began circling.

"Arms up..." he repeated, "Elbows in...tuck your chin. Now..."

He separated his feet. "Get into a lunge position. Bend your knees....Find your balance..."

Gwen rotated as Jak circled. She was still flushed from the skirmish, and furious that he had overpowered her so easily. But, breathing deeply, she adjusted her footing and waited for his next instruction.

Jak extended his fist, twisting from his core. Gwen was momentarily distracted as the wind pulled his clothes flat against his skin.

"When you throw punch," Jak said, "The movement starts in your legs. You want to swing forward, transferring the momentum to your fist. And you connect – "

He tapped his his hand. "With the first two knuckles. Keep your thumb out, wrist straight, and..."

He mimed several punches, sweeping forward to Gwen.  After the demonstration, he stood directly behind her.

"There's an undead pirate in front of you." he said. "Your brother's blood is smeared over it's lips."

Hatred filled Jak's voice. "Punch."

Gwen let her arm fly. Her body stretched like a rubber-band then recoiled to the starting position.

Jak took her hips.

"More from here." he said, forcing her to pivot. "You have strong legs. Use them to power the punch - like the handle of a hammer."

Gwen dipped back then snapped forward.

Jak grabbed her forearm.

"Come on! Put more into it! The pirate's chewing your brother's neck." Jak pointed at the invisible foe. "Punch!"

Gwen slammed the air, enraged by the thought. She struck again, trying to blot the image from her mind.

"Punch." said Jak

She obeyed.

"Punch." said Jak.

She obeyed.

"Punch." Jak said, his command becoming rhythmic with Gwen's response. "Punch...Punch... Punch!"

Gwen parried until her shoulders fell off. When they were through, Jak offered no more encouragement than, "See you at sunrise tomorrow" before departing for Triton Mansion.

Gwen flexed her fingers. Feeling strangely accomplished, she ran back home to stretch Michaleen's legs.

Ariel poked her head from the ocean. Illuminating the beach with her trident, she studied the knotted footprints.

"Interesting." she finally said.

Her fishy friend Flounder agreed. "I'll say!"