Chapter 86: All Grown Up

Chapter 86: All Grown Up

Gwen stared.

Again someone knocked.

A bomb would have been less worrisome. Kneeling on the bathroom floor with vomit in her hair was not the way Gwen wanted to be seen. Appearances were everything and right now she was a mess. She didn't want anyone to know she'd lost control.

Crouching at the sink, Gwen watched the door, her ears pricked for the slightest sound.

Maybe if she stayed completely silent...the person on the opposite side would go away...

Knock. Knock. Knock.

Nope. Of course not. Why should luck break her way?

The knocking was sharper this time. No one spoke but the message was clear: whoever it was, was not going away.

Gwen took a deep, deep breath. Smoothing her brow, she answered the door.

It was Jak.

Gwen froze. Jak was the last person she wanted to see her in such a state.

"S – sir."

Gwen fumbled between brushing stray hairs and standing military erect. She further confused herself by wondering if she was even allowed to greet Jak via military protocol, given her recent expulsion from the military minor.

Jak waited for Gwen to compose herself...which she didn't.

"Sir, I...I..." Gwen looked up at Jak, lost her nerve, then promptly looked at his feet.

"Sir I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I know what you're going to say but...the past twenty four hours have been – trying. I know that's no excuse. I know that when things go wrong we must keep our wits. But – "

Gwen blew through her cheeks. She didn't see it, but Jak almost smiled. His eyebrows rose as she suddenly started scolding herself.

"Actually I'm wrong." she announced. "If I wanted the military minor, I should have been prepared for anything. I should have remained calm. I should have controlled my emotions. I should have – "

Gwen did her best to stand with arms straight, chest out, and chin up. If she was going to fail, she would fail with her head held high.

"I'm sorry for the race yesterday. I'm sorry for..." she cringed, "Your eye. And I'm sorry for failing the test. I...I know I'm expelled from the military program. And I accept any further punishment."

"Sir." she finished, gaze returning to his feet.

Jak gauged Gwen's silence. Once he was certain she was through, he spoke.

"I've sent a message to Admiral Triton. I've recommended he give you a second chance."

Gwen's head snapped up. This time she absolutely looked him in the eye.

"Pardon?"

"I've sent a message to Admiral Triton," Jak repeated, "I've recommended he give you a second chance. As you know, the admiral is my grandfather. I'm sure I can convince him."

Gwen gaped. This was the most wonderful and flummoxing news she'd ever heard!

"Why – " she stammered, "Why would you do that?"

Jak seemed genuinely surprised. 

"Why wouldn't I? You said it yourself. The past twenty four hours have been trying. I understand what you're going through."