Chapter 65: Meeting Michaleen

Gwen knelt. She gave Michaleen a huge bear hug.

Michaleen's real name was not Michaleen. It was actually Peter Michaleen, but the first name never stuck. Michaleen was just too much of a Michaleen to be called Peter Michaleen, and that was just the way it always was.

Michaleen was an angel...an angel with broken wings.

You see, Michaleen had cerebral palsy.

Cerebral palsy is a neurological disorder that affects movement. Children with cerebral palsy are born with brain injuries that affect their muscles, causing them to move poorly.

Michaleen's condition had resulted from an exceptionally traumatic birth. Gwen wasn't exactly certain what had happen, but (thanks to her medical education) she inferred  it was secondary to a lack of oxygen during the birthing process. She also knew Michaleen had been born too early, but again, the details were a mystery.

Regardless, Michaleen had been born with spastic diaplegia cerebral palsy, which basically meant his legs were super tight all of the time.

Now, compared to other forms of cerebral palsy, Michaleen's condition was mild

Other than being very small for his age, Michaleen looked like a normal six year old. He had vanilla blonde hair, big black eyes, and pointed ears. 

Granted, the pointed ears weren't exactly normal, but they were less noticeable than his cerebral palsy symptoms.

His legs were the biggest problem.

As mentioned, Michaleen's legs were super tight all of the time. And it was painful.

Imagine your legs are totally straight. Your toes are pointed down like a ballerina. You try to relieve the tension at the ankle, but your foot keeps snapping down like a rubber band. 

Suddenly it's hard to walk. Your calf starts to hurt. Your bones get stuck in that uncomfortable position. You begin stumbling all over the place because you can't coordinate your ankles and feet...

That was the hardship Michaleen faced. Every single day.

But the hardships didn't stop there. Michaleen didn't live the normal life of a six year old.

For instance, he had to attend pediatrician, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and neurology appointments every week. He also had to wear plastic braces around his ankles to keep them fixed at 90 degrees. He also had to wear diapers, (a precaution he hated) because his potty muscles were still in-training.

The hardships piled higher...

Michaleen was smaller than his classmates. Michaleen was weaker than his classmates. He was always picked last in gym class, and he could always been seen on the playground playing alone.

As a result, Michaleen was an isolated child. But he was perfectly content to daydream about comic books and worship his big sister.

"Gwen! Gwen! Gwen!" Michaleen hopped as Gwen hugged him, "Gweny did you win? Did you win the wrace?"

Gwen squeezed her brother. "Michaleen did anyone try to take you home today?"

"Huh?"

"Did anyone...did anyone come during physical therapy today? Like...a strange lady?"

Michaleen cocked his head "Huh?"

Gwen relaxed. Although she had already convinced herself that her parents were gone, it was comforting that Michaleen hadn't encountered them either. He was safe. That was all that mattered.