Chapter 120: Matey

Chapter 120: Matey

Officer Judy Hopps felt bad, but rules were rules:

If you do the crime you do the time. And much like her idol, Captain Amelia Doppler, Judy ruthlessly upheld the law —- from manslaughter to illegal parking.

So, following the arrest, she brought Gwen to the jail, read her rights, locked her up, and left her with the prison wardens – two vultures named Trigger and Nutsy.

"Bar fight eh?" Nutsy stuck his long neck into the cell. "We're no stranger to the ole' bar brawl, right Trigger?"

Trigger uncoiled a land line. "Button your beak, Nutsy. Stop bonding with the inmate. Here!"

He thrust an off-white phone at Gwen. "Ye get one call, kid. Have at it."

Gwen took the phone. Her hands were sore from the fight. Her hair was half-up where Rufio hadn't pulled it and half-down where he had. Her stage makeup was caked everywhere but the giant blood blister on her lower lip.

She was cold. She was hungry.

All she wanted was to go home.

Wordlessly, she took the phone and dialed the Ohana Homes. She prayed Aunt Lilo would pick up the phone. For some reason she had a feeling Aunt Lilo would be more receptive to please pick me up I'm in jail than Uncle Micheal.

The phone rang. And rang. And rang.

Peter answered.

"Hiya - Pelican residence."

Gwen made a face. Resisting the urge to correct his pronunciation of Pelekai, she hung up and returned the phone to Trigger.

Trigger raised a feathery brow. "Done?"

Gwen nodded. Bringing knees to her chest, she huddled into the wall. Officer Hopps had confiscated her high heels and it was freezing.

"May I have a blanket?" She massaged her toes. "Please?"

Trigger slapped his forehead. "Ohhhh excuse me Duchess, how silly of me to forget! Would you like a blanket made of kitten fur or flower petals?"

Gwen looked angrily away. She was really getting sick of people mocking her accent.

"Rot off."

"Excuse me?" Trigger clanked the bars. "Got something to say convic – "

"I said rot off!" Gwen snarled. She knew yelling wasn't in her best interest, but she was fed up. "It's not funny to mock my accent! It's not nice to berate me for asking a question! I'm tired of everyone and everything so just leave me alone!"

"You wanna be left alone?" Trigger slapped the bars. "Cause you're gonna rot in here kid! And when you're flesh is oozy and soupy, Nutsy and I will eat what's left of you!"

Nutsy smacked his lips. " 'Cetp the bones."

"C'mon Nutsy." Trigger yanked the phone cord. "Let's see what the Sherriff's up to. Sweet dreams duchess!"

Gwen glared at the prison bars long after the vultures had left. Her thoughts circulated from the events preceding her fight, to her apprehensions about the future. She agonized to the point of mental exhaustion.

Since childhood, she'd fought for control.  Life had dealt her a raw hand but Gwen responded with a resilient heart. She'd been kidnapped and tormented. Underestimated and bullied. But one thing, and one little boy, kept her motivated and calm.

Until tonight.

Gwen shivered. Completely broken, she tried to curl into an invisible dot.

One thought lingered. And it wouldn't go away.