Falling Into Place [collab with AliceSmithFBI]

Spring Break 2021

"Betty, where did you say your roommate was going for the week?" Alice asked as she took a bite of lasagna. Betty gave her a look from across the table.

"Cancun. She's in Cancun." Betty replied with a roll of her eyes. Polly gave her sister a sympathetic look.

"You don't think that's a bit excessive?" Her mother asked judgingly.

She knew Betty had wanted to go off on some vacation for spring break, but her and Jughead hadn't been home since Christmas and she'd managed to convince them to drag themselves back to Riverdale from NYU for the week. Tonight, they were having a family dinner, complete with all five children as well as the twins before Alice had to go into the news station for the 7 o'clock broadcast.

"It's Spring Break, Alice. Kids usually go to the beach to get drunk with their friends." Charles said nonchalantly from his place next to her. He glanced up to see the mortified look on her face. "What? It's just the truth."

"Can you stop trying to give your mother a heart attack? She has to be on live television in thirty minutes." FP looked down and realized his knee was shaking under the table. Alice felt grateful for his support but noticed the sudden change in his behavior.

The table was trembling slightly as his knee was pushing against the foot of it. FP took a quick look at the clock on the wall that told him it was almost time for her to leave so he decided to encourage her a little.

''You're going to be late, babe, let's get you going.'' He stood up from the table, with both their plates in his hand, bringing them over to the sink. Alice was a little annoyed by the fact that she was being rushed out of the house while she was still trying to enjoy the dinner she was having with all of her kids. Having them all together on the same night was a rare occasion, so when they did Alice made every second count.

"Are you trying to get rid of me or something, FP?" She said with a touch of annoyance in her voice. He knew way too well that she noticed every quirk he had, so there was a good chance she had caught onto his mood.

"No, I just don't want you to be late, hon." He said unconvincingly.

"Well, I know when I have to be at work, and you don't do this any other night. You're being weird." Alice narrowed her eyes as she followed FP over to the sink where he was putting down their plates. She made a move to grab the sponge off the counter, but FP laid a hand on her arm.

"Don't worry about the dishes. You made a wonderful dinner. The kids and I will take care of cleaning up." FP said as earnestly as possible, but he was internally shaking with the knowledge of what he was about to do.

Alice considered this, and though she knew something was up with him, she had to admit that he was being sweet. She decided to drop it for now, though she intended to press him further when she got home.

"If you say so." Alice hummed and leaned up to press a kiss to his cheek. The feeling of her lips on his skin, even for just a second, calmed his nerves. He caught her chin between his thumb and forefinger and kissed her properly.

"Now go, get out of here. The camera doesn't wait." FP lightly slapped her ass as she turned around, earning a disgusted groan from the table full of their children.

"One dinner. That's all I'm asking for. They're like this all the time, and none of you have to suffer through it everyday like I do." Jellybean picked up her plate and handed it to FP with a roll of her eyes and an exasperated sigh.

Alice couldn't help the laughter that escaped her as she pulled her purse from the hall closet and grabbed her keys. She was about to walk over to the door and give in to the fact that she really had to leave now if she wanted to be on time for work, but Jughead called out to her.